Automatic transmission fluid

HAVE A 94 TOYOTA CAMRY WITH 92000 MILES.

DEALER SAID I SHOULD HAVE THE TRANMISSION FLUID FLUSHED AND CHANGED, FOR $550. IS THIS SOMETHING THAT REALLY NEEDS TO BE DONE.

You should definitely have the fluid changed, NOT flushed.

That being said, if they are really charging $550 for this procedure, I suggest that you never return to that dealership. Is it possible that $550 is the price of the 90k mile service, including a trans flush?

Anyway, there is no reason to take this 16 year old car to a dealership. Any competent independent mechanic can service this car, includiing changing the trans fluid. A fair price for the trans fluid change is probably more like $90, including a new trans filter and cleanout of the trans pan.

What have you been doing for transmission maintenance so far?

When was the last time the transmission was serviced? My answer depends on how well the transmission has been cared for until now.

Get another estimate from an independent mechanic. You don’t need to pay dealer prices for maintenance work on a sixteen year old car.

But, yes, you should have the transmission fluid replaced. Not necessarily flushed, but replaced.

FORGET the Dealer for ANY non-warranty repairs or maintenance…

Have an independent transmission shop change the fluid AND FILTER…They may COMBINE this service with a “flush” which is fine as long as they drop the pan and change the filter TOO!! This service should not exceed $100, $150 TOPS!