Auto repair- too expensive

is it “wearever” ones?
silver or platinums?
I held them in hands, they looked decent, but still went for “premium, better than OEM” one

I’ve been doing my own brakes for 15 years. Even 15 years ago, I never had break pads replaced for less than $250. I’m sure most places would charge $300+ now. $350 isn’t surprising at a VW dealer.

Brake work is usually not very difficult and almost anyone can do it themselves. Instead of paying a mechanic $350, you could do it yourself for less than $40. And brakes will wear out again eventually then you’ll already know how to do it and it’s a cake walk.

1 Like

I don’t remember the brand or type. I just told the guy to give me the cheapest they had. The only time I’ve ever had issues with warped rotors was when I spent extra for nicer brake pads.

that pretty much defines it to be “Wearever Silver” ones :slight_smile:

it looked OK for me, but with strangely low cost, so I went for something “better” and it did not work out that time for me too - was replacing them in a year since they were screaming and were worn faster than I expected

I actually had to do front pads and rotors on my Focus in September before they would pass it for PA inspection. I get the cheap Duralast pads…it had been 3.5-4 years since I had last done the pads on it (so of course the friggen rotors were out of warranty, but c’est la vie) per my warranty history in their computer system.

That’s wonderful. You got an extra skill :+1:. Does brake pads cost only $20? Do you also help your friends/colleagues in fixing car repairs ?

Thanks so much Tester and George!

i went back to the dealership and asked them to break the price for the work they have done. He just said a long story which I don’t remember. But he argued that the car is out of warranty and the repair would be significantly expensive.