Auto repair- too expensive

The late model cars that I work on have rotors heavier than the rotors on my truck, there is .100" of wear/resurface material on the rotors. The rotor thickness is measured before and after being resurfaced.

I order the rotors/caliper hardware/brake pads to be delivered.

Tester

I found one link for an Acura ā€¦

new front rotor thickness = 26mm, min thickness = 24mm
new rear rotor thickness = 10mm, min thickness = 8mm.

Thatā€™s 2 mm of wear thickness, 80 mils about. How much material is typically removed in a resurfacing?

The bill says brake pads for the front wheels and regular maintenance.

Thereā€™s a website where you can type in your car make/model/year and what work was done and get estimates how much it would cost to do it your own area. Forget the name of it though, maybe somebody here recalls. If you posted the model year of your Passat maybe somebody here will look it up for you too.

The bill says brake pads replacement for the front wheels and regular maintenance check.

I think I should try an independent body shop.

Vw Passat S 2014

Body shops are for repair of damaged car bodies, not routine maintenance.

Thatā€™s really cool. I wish something like that starts here in Philadelphia

Assuming you have the 1.8 Turbo engine, hereā€™s what Iā€™m seeing for front brake pad replacement without resurfacing or replacing rotor.

Parts, $90
Labor 1 hour

So around $200 total.

If the caliper or rotor had to be removed, thereā€™s an extra labor charge. Likewise if the parking brake needed adjustment.

I totally agree with this. Especially in the north east from November to April, it will be pretty cold and would be very tough to any mechanic to crawl under the car.

If it is estimating around $200, it seems $350 is a lot more.

I doubt general administrative charges would be have added to that.

They either replaced the rotors or machined them. I have a hard time believing a dealer would replace the pads without servicing the rotors. The $350 price is reasonable from a dealer. You might get 10 to 20% or so off at an Independent shop.

2 Likes

Wow. Do you mind sharing Where you order the automotive parts? I think thatā€™s a brilliant idea to save a bit of money.

Can you please tell me whatā€™s that website to check the estimated cost when you remember it?

I order the parts from a local parts store. Like all the local car dealers.

And I always order parts that meets or exceeds the OEM specifications.

Tester

I could not resist, @Tester, but to ask for your brand picks for reasonably priced rotors/pads, please :slight_smile:

Yes next time I am going to the independent mechanic garage.

Got it. Was wondering if you order online on some website.

You can buy auto parts at discount prices from local parts stores and online, there is a variety in the quality of these parts. Purchasing auto parts may not help you save money if you canā€™t install them yourself. Repair shops generally prefer to use their own supplies, they rely on the profit of parts sales.