Auto lights

She read it correctly. I had not read it. When I tested it, the unlock/relock feature worked exactly as described in the manual.

My point is, you have to read the manual to understand the car’s features. I had not read the manual in detail, and did not know about this feature until someone who did read the manual did tell me.

And how much more is there to learn about in today’s cars, compared to my 1999 Honda and 2007 Town and Country? Yipes!

1 Like

A lot of modern cars will turn the lights off when you shut the motor off, even if it’s in “on” and not “auto.” I would be surprised if your Acura didn’t do this - it’s common enough that even Ford and Hyundai are doing it.

1 Like

Nope, just dings that you left the lights on. My motor bike shut the lights off when you killed the engine 50 years ago.

1 Like

My bicycle headlight shut off when I stopped for a traffic signal. It didn’t come back on until I started pedaling again. (Anybody else remember those generator powered bicycle lights?)

3 Likes

Yeah, I really disliked the generator lights because it caused too much drag. My night shift ended at midnight or 2:00 with overtime and I’d have to pedal my bike a couple miles home in the dark with the generator dragging me down.

1 Like

Exactly–drive with all lights on, all times. Be seen in any condition (you as the driver cannot always know what conditions the oncoming traffic are experiencing, for example, and conditions change with road direction and time of day).

Anything else is just confusing for others, and leads to mistakes. Be sure your vehicle will shut all lights when you remove key/leave vehicle. Otherwise spend a few bucks on a rewire to be sure that happens. Me, I just take it to be one additional thing I know I need to be safe before I drive away (or get out of the vehicle after parking) : Ignition, watch dash for warning lights, check climate controls, seat belt buckle and adjust, check mirrors (wife is now shorter than I am), turn on full lights, signal and pull into traffic (even on my dead-end road–BE SEEN!

The cost of the lamp bulb wear and the small amount of electrical drain on engine, in no way compares to avoiding even one minor crash, easily $1000 these days, correct?

2 Likes

More like 20 seconds…

Yeah, I often think that if the brake light was not “auto” on, but left up to the smarts of the driver, we would have even more problems then we do from the type of drivers who “choose” to not signal…

“Signaling your intentions gives info to the enemy, after all!”

1 Like

I am one of those morons that use the DRL’s. I never turn my headlights on. They come automatically at night. Brake lights etc come on too. I’ll have to double check everything the next time I drive after dark.

I agree 100%. What really is annoying (and unsafe) is that now 90-95% of all drivers have headlights on under marginal or bad conditions, such as rain, dark clouds, etc. It’s those few drivers who drive with no lights that present a safety hazard.

Many years ago, few drivers drove with their lights on under marginal conditions, so you didn’t expect it. But now, it’s those few with the lights off that are a hazard as you don’t expect that.

Darn it, you made me check:-). My headlights turn off 30 seconds after the last door is closed regardless of whether the switch is in “Auto” or “On”.

As for driving with lights on all the time, NHTSA did a study 10 years ago on the use of DRL’s and found no statistically significant difference between DRLs and no DRL’s in terms of accident prevention. The comprehensive 110 page report can be found here. Whether that would change with the use of headlights being 'on", who knows.

That doesn’t make you a moron. I do the same thing and so do most people I think. You would know if your DRLs were on and not the headlights after dark because you would have no dashboard lights. I’m not driving around with my headlights on all day when it’s sunny out. I understand overriding the “Auto” headlights in marginal conditions when they don’t come on, and in the rain.

My 2010 Kia Forte does exactly the same thing when using the fob. I fail to understand the purpose. I solved the problem by just using the key where I open the door in approximately 1 second. I have only the car ignition/doors and my front door house key on the ring which can also help prevent worn ignition switch problems.

My usage of the word moron was more towards people with DRLs who don’t have a light sensor that automatically turns all of the lights on at night time when it gets dark. No I don’t know specific models, but I probably see at least 3-4 cars a month where front end is has lights on but nothing on in the back. Whereas if you just turn them all on all the time, you never have to worry about it.

LOL! I refer to it as “spoiling the surprise”. For the ones who signal half way through the turn I say “To late. I already guessed”.

1 Like

A few years ago I was caught in a snow storm. On a road that is dangerous and requires lights to be on all of the time, there was the standard idiots with no lights on. Despite the snow it was somewhat light out but it was much easier to see cars with their headlights on.

I was wondering if cars with auto lights might have had their lights out because there was too much light outside. I love various forms of automation I love but the automatic lights are not nearly good enough if they aren’t over 99% correct.

Me, I drive with my lights on all of the time. It is important to me to have a car where the lights turn off when I turn off the engine. I’ve been so so since a report in Canada in the early 80s reported cars with lights on all of the time had a 10% less chance of being in an accident.

I hate automation! I can turn things on or off as needed!

1 Like

I think all cars sold in Canada must have some form of day-time running lights. Last time I visited Vancouver BC it seems like most of the cars had their headlights on during the day.

Yes if I remember right they were the ones that started it all and passed a law. I actually thought that Canada had a higher population than under 40 million so I ‘spose it’s a little easier making changes. At any rate I do remember though back in the 50’s or 60’ some people had these single running lights installed on the center of their grill. It was lit all the time and supposed to reduce accidents. Of course it’s hard to determine how many accidents were prevented. I still maintain that the tail lights should go on with the head lights though so maybe we can thank the Canadians for that.

DRLs have been required in Canada since 1991. Most of them are done as half-powered high beams. Some Chrysler products simply used bright amber lamps. My 1991 LeBaron convertible is one of those, otherwise the doors in front of the lights would have to be open all of the time. But all of the second (third? the curvy ones) generation Chrysler minivans also used the corner lamps.

Nobody’s DRLs activate the tail lights. You still have to turn on your proper headlights at night (or have them be automatic on newer cars I suppose).