Auto 4 wheel drive

I have always been told that you should not drove in 4 wheel drive on dry roads, and that it could cause damage to do this for an extended time. We have a 2004 GMC Sierra with 4WD auto. My husband says the truck should not be left in this position all the time. I figure that is what is great about the “auto” feature and that it will only engage when needed and cause no damage to be left there. Who is right?

All you have to do is open your glove compartment, take out the Owner’s Manual, and read exactly what GM had to say on the topic. No matter what anyone on this site or any other site may tell you, the only information that is official is what comes from the vehicle’s manufacturer.

As usual, VDC has given you the perfect answer.

The info in the owner’s manual went directly from the car’s designers to the manual’s writers to you. Trust it beyond all else.

What is “Auto” about your 4wd system? hub engagement? power distribution to front axel? does your truck have the ability to sense the rear wheels slipping and transfer power to the front?

We don’t know these details, but the OP will find out exactly what she needs to know regarding the safe and economical operation of this vehicle if she will just open her glove compartment, take out the Owner’s Manual, and actually read what is contained in it.

All too often, the questions posted in this forum remind me of people who stand in front of a library and ask where they can find a dictionary or an encyclopedia. Can it possibly get any easier than opening the glove compartment and reading the booklet provided by the vehicle’s manufacturer?

If there is a choice, you use the 2WD option. 4WD auto is for slippery conditions where you know that 4WD will be helpful. All the time and any 4WD is trouble waiting to happen. You’re just looking for something to talk about because I think you know the right answer already.