Audi subscriptions, coming to the US I bet

Not here yet, but it’s coming:
Audi A3 Buyers Have To Subscribe To Use Basic Car Features (jalopnik.com)

For example:
"If you want to access features like dual-zone climate control, adaptive cruise control, or high beam headlight assist, you’ll have to pay a subscription fee. If you want to use Apple CarPlay or Android Auto, you’ll have to pay to upgrade the entire infotainment system to unlock smartphone integration. "

Again, this is why I’ll continue buying older, cheaper, used cars with no internet connection…

2 Likes

From what I have read you have to subscribe to mobile Wi-Fi in order for them to monitor and report your driving habits and destinations. So no internet, nothing to report to insurance companies.

I have no objection to require an owner to pay recurring fees for the use of the car’s entertainment functions; but imho all of the car’s safety functions should be available without add’l fees. Shouldn’t have to risk yours & others lives b/c you failed to pay a recurring fee.

On my Buick, I do not subscribe to wifi, or internet. I also do not use or subscribe to OnStar. But yet OnStar sends me monthly emails telling me how many sudden stops, rapid accelerations, etc. Buick or somebody OnStar? tells me when my oil change is due, etc. I’m under the impression that OnStar monitors even when I do not subscribe. Once in a while I’ll get an irritating verbal notification stating that I have limited services with OnStar. So I believe OnStar is hooked up to me.

1 Like

Bingo! The way things are going with all this privacy infringement and so-called “subscription services”, I suspect that old economy cars will suddenly become highly desirable. Rational people aren’t going to want to ride with Big Brother, and they aren’t going to want to pay a monthly “subscription” to use their car’s features.

1 Like

I don’t think so. My wife’s 14 Audi clearly has a connection that we do not pay for. The car’s clock properly resets itself from daylight savings time every time. Maybe it picks it up from her cell but I don’t know for sure.

If it’s like my vehicle, it automatically resets through the onboard GPS.

Yeah mine too. I think if you have nav, you are communicating with the sat but is not recording and reporting driving behavior to a third party.

Or is it?