Audi shakes when the window is open

Trust me…my friend seems to tolerate A/C in airplanes, in my home, in my car, in restaurants, and in other people’s cars just fine.

The only issue with him is that he is incredibly cheap, to the point where he frequently winds-up shooting himself in the foot. A perfect illustration of this is in regard to his bathroom window, which was cracked by falling ice several years ago. When he found out how much it would cost to replace the thermal pane, he simply covered it with cardboard and duct tape. The result is that his bathroom was as cold as 45 degrees last winter.

Or, how about his car? He drives less than 2k miles per year, and–so far–he hasn’t yet changed the oil in his 3 year old Scion. I have tried–multiple times–to explain to him that he is subjecting his engine to the worst type of conditions, and that he needs to adhere to the mfr’s maintenance schedule, which calls for oil changes every 6 months. His consistent answer is that the oil “looks clean, so it doesn’t need to be changed”, so after a couple of years, I just gave up on trying to advise him about that topic.

When somebody has more than enough money to do the things that he avoids doing, it is irrational, IMHO.

lol … good story there @VDCdriver … I see what you mean about that neighbor of yours. I’m currently watching episodes of the British comedy series Cheers and Tears , and one character on that show is extremely frugal like that. His wife wants him to take their car & drive her up north about 200 miles so they can scatter the wife’s mother’s remains on the Yorkshire moors.The wife explains the mother enjoyed that area as a kid. He does some cyphering on the cost of the gas, wear and tear on his car, and the hotel bill for an overnight stay. He then asks why drive all the way to Yorkshire, why not just scatter the stuff at the nearby shopping mall where the mother liked to shop as an adult? … lol …

The easiest way to stop wind buffeting, especially with only rear windows open, is to pop up a sunroof (if you have one). Another handy tip: Pop up the sunroof and, with all the windows closed, open the passenger rear window about two inches. When the car is moving you will generate a wonderful clockwise breeze in the car that comes up from behind you (and doesn’t dry out your eyes). You can also generate a counterclockwise breeze by closing the rear passenger window and cracking open the rear driver’s window. On a cool day it is refreshing and not as noisy as having the window open next to your ear.

It really depends on the vehicle.

My last 3 SUV’s all had wind buffering to some degree.

Firsts SUV - if I had both rear windows down - buffering.
Second SUV - One rear window or one front window down - buffering
Current SUV - Any rear window down without a front window down.

@MikeInNH - Actually, as long as you have a sunroof my advice will work. Sunroof popped up (cracked open at the trailing edge) and only one window in the back open (a few inches) and no other windows open will always generate a circular breeze in your vehicle without any buffeting.

I don’t like AC either. I’ve only turned mine on when window fogging made it necessary and when passengers requested it. Haven’t had it on in years. I wonder if it still works??? :fearful: