Audi A4 oil pressure

• I have a 2007 Audi A4 2.0t
  • when I purchased it, it couldn’t accelerate properly. I would floor it and it wouldn’t go past 40 but if i drove on the hightway, eventually it would speed up. My mechanic friend said get it anyway because it should be an easy fix.
  • he installed New fan, Coolant flange plus sensor, new CCV, turbo cutoff valve and more. It worked flawlessly after for a few weeks.
    -It started to create thick white smoke when i attempt to accelerate too fast and the oil levels would diminish. I had to top it up every week
    -My mechanic friend cleaned the throttle body and it came back to normal for a few weeks
  • now it has a oil pressure red light on and was told it shouldn’t be driven under those conditions
  • now it just sits. It starts and moves normally by smoke comes from somewhere near the engine as it sits idle.
    -My mechanic friend doesn’t think it’s the turbo but another mechanic said it was. My uncle said i need to replace the engine, another mechanic said it needs a new turbo and exhaust manifold. I don’t know who’s right.

Has anyone delt with this issue before?
Please help, any insight will help

I suggest to take the car to an independent shop and have it looked over from top to bottom. Will be worth spending ~100 and get the correct answer.

Oh, you might want to ask your mechanic friend if he wants to buy the car from you…it’s an easy fix.

5 Likes

So check the oil level and tell us how much you see on the dipstick. My guess, none. Add oil until it reaches the full mark and report back here. I’d guess it needs at least 3 quarts. Be sure and use the type of oil your owner’s manual says and add it where your owner’s manual say to add engine oil.

If you drove it any distance with that red light on, your engine may be destroyed. So how far did you go with the red light on??

Likely one of 2 things failed. There should be a check valve that prevents turbo boost from pressurizing the oil pan-crankcase area. If that fails, it can blow a ton of oil through the engine. Likewise a blown turbo seal can do the same thing.

1 Like

It seems like the car should easily zoom to well over 40 mph even if the turbo were completely kaput. I’ve not much turbo experience however. I guess if the turbo wasn’t rotating smoothly, that could block exhaust flow and would adversely affect what the engine could do, similar to if the cat was plugged. What I’d do in this situation, I’d ask my shop if they can temporarily disconnect/remove etc the turbo so that they know exhaust flow is flowing freely, and see how it behaves then.

The above is an optimistic view of things. A more pragmatic view is probably that to fix this, expect to be presented with a very big invoice. Technically what’s broken can probably be fixed, but it will likely be less expensive to install a replacement engine. That’s just life with turbos is all.

I agree 100%.

1 Like