2021 Chevrolet Blazer - Ice issues

steering when the road is covered with ice the vehicle skates all over like its out of control

Get better tires… Tire will make or break a vehicle… Plus you might need to adjust your driving habits…
Tn doesn’t get a lot of snow anymore but we gets Lots Of ICE, and I drive in it with out much issues as does my wife and kids (and all we have are hills and curves), but I ALWAYS put the best tires on and I don’t go to places that sell groceries and clothes to buy those tires… And we only have FWD vehicles…

There is also a possibility that your alignment is way out and or you have loose steering and or suspension parts…

4 Likes

If your local road rules allow you to use studded snow tires, those can help quite a bit for snow and ice driving. They can make driving on dry pavement less stable though. Google will probably tell you if studded tires are legal or not in your area. When I lived in Colorado many years ago, many shops would install studs in their customer’s regular snow tires for a relatively small fee. I don’t know if that sort of service remains available.

I’d get that checked out. If still under warranty, take it to the Chevy dealership, explain your concerns, and have them do a front end check. If that comes back ok, buy better tires, or stay home when it is icy.
I’d have zero idea how to drive in ice, as I’ve never really done it. Perhaps ask local friends or family for input to verify you are making smart ice driving decisions?

What tires do you have? There’s quite a difference between winter tires, good all-season tires, and bad all-season tires here.

3 Likes

It can be fun if done in a safe area. Like a frozen lake, just don’t hit a fishing shack.

1 Like

I was unhappy with the winter performance of my then-new 1999 Honda Civic here in WI and MN. I decided to get winter tires on their own rims from tirerack. A very noticeable improvement.

Since then I have kept a winter and a summer set of wheels/tires for that car and it has performed well year-round for 23+ years now.

My other car is a minivan. I use all-season tires on it, and choose tires that rate especially high in snow/ice performance. It also works well year-round.

Tires make a big diff. Use the opportunity to move beyond the original tires wisely: choose tires that do well in the performance criteria that matter most to you.

2 Likes

+1
The OEM Bridgestone RE-92 tires on my 2001 Outback had so little winter traction that they were a hazard. Replacing them–for the winter–with Michelin winter tires resulted in a totally different & drastically-improved winter driving experience.

Once again , a short brief post about a problem with little detail and no other information .

Breaking news: vehicle control issues on ice covered road. Our on the scene reporter speaks with stunned motorists…

6 Likes

Perhaps someone put newer tires or tires with better traction in the front?

Rotate the new tires to the rear before you kill yourself and someone else. If the tires only have better traction in the snow, but less traction in normal conditions, then put them on one side by rotating diagonally.

As someone said already, rear alignment that is badly out of adjustment can cause this.

90’s Just stop with the guessing and poor advice .

1 Like

For Chery and Wonderful:

Hey, Skid Plate racing looks like it would be a blast to do!! lol

IRC I saw a clip on TV of Jay Leno skid plate racing. It did look like a hoot. He enjoyed it too.

1 Like

Does it have Continental tires? The OE Continentals on my wife’s '19 Buick Encore are horrible on snow and ice. A set of Bridgestone Blizzaks turned it into a winter beast.

1 Like

Vehicle slides on ice. Now that’s a “shocker” :rofl: :woman_facepalming:

3 Likes

It was fun to watch! Trailer racing, each car pulling either a camper or boat&trailer was great.

Trailer racing is fun also, but skid plate is just so out of control I think it would be more fun… Trailer is more destructive though… lol