2020 Toyota Highlander - Hard seats

The driver seat in the 2020 Toyota Highlander is very uncomfortable. My right leg goes numb after one hour. I have put it in several different positions. I am going to buy a pad for the seat. Why are they making these so hard??

Didn’t you try the vehicule before you bought it?

1 Like

Test drove for 45 min.

See if this helps.

Grampa Simpson shaking fist Meme Generator - Imgflip

Exactly. Why would anyone buy a vehicle that is uncomfortable?

I have a 2014 Highlander…Not sure what changed between mine and 2020 model year…but my Highlander is very comfortable.

Have you adjusted the seat up and down to be more comfortable? These days, manufacturers have power seats that go up, down, forward, back, and even change angle. Maybe a combination you haven’t tried will work better. It seems from your description, adjusting lower might help if you haven’t done that already.

They design their vehicles to appeal to the largest number of people. The only way to know for sure is to go for a long test drive, at least 20 minutes. I had a similar issue in 2017. I test drove a Toyota Avalon, and ended up going for a half hour test drive. Turns out I find the seat back uncomfortable, and I only discovered that after the long drive. More recently, I had a Camry rental with a similarly designed seat, and it was uncomfortable in the same way. Lots of people think those seats are comfortable, but the just don’t fit me. Good luck with your quest.

I have driven a lot of different vehicle 's over the year’s and I know with most cars now it can’t be done but to me the most comfortable seat’s was the bench seat and the air ride seat that was in most truck’s.

It seems like most seats now are a bit on the firm side and I dislike them also. However, I notice hard seats in about 10 seconds so there is no acclimation period.

The only car I’ve owned with what I consider perfect seats is my Lincoln Mark. I’ve driven that car non-stop several times for 425 miles with no comfort issues at all.

1 Like

Seat comfort is really subjective. We have 2003 Toyota 4Runner. The seats are firm and the ride is stiff. For riding around town, the 4Runner had the riding comfort of a wheelbarrow. Yet, it is one of the most comfortable vehicles I have owned for long trips. I can drive the 375 miles to visit our son and not feel stiff when we arrive. On the other hand, we had a 1993 Oldsmobile 88 with all the bells and whistles. It felt very comfortable for local driving, but after an hour on the highway, my legs would cramp up. Even with the power seats that adjusted in all kinds of positions, I was never comfortable after an hour on the road.
We owned a 2006 Chevrolet Uplander minivan. It was the lowest trim line model. It didn’t have power seats. Yet, it was quite comfortable to drive. The seat and driving position are more comfortable than the 2011 Toyota Sienna that replaced the Uplander. Our son now has both the 2006 Uplander and the 2011 Sienna and he thinks the seats are more comfortable in the Uplander than the Sienna. As well as the 4Runner, we have a 2017 Toyota Sienna. It is no different than the 2011 Sienna. For me, it was the most comfortable minivan I could find since GM no longer makes a minivan.
I think the vehicle I owned that had the most comfortable seat was the 1990.Ford Aerostar Eddie Bauer. I still wish I could get a new minivan like that Aerostar. I liked the rear wheel drive and full frame construction for pulling trailers.

I have named this car coffin car.
I had camry 2019 before but i had mild pain in my back when i used to do long frive.
But now 2022 hybrid highlander is pathetic.
I have severe lower back pain because of this car seat.
I like to long drive with my family for vacations.
It started 3 months back slowly slowly
Now it is too much worst i cannot even do my 9-5 sitting job
I went to doctor and and had my xray and MRI done and ended up with neurologist and now having lower spine issues.
I am going to sell this coffin car soon.
Raja
Ciscobiro@gmail.com

Sorry to learn of your problems. Is it worth waiting until the lower back issue is resolved? My MIL has lower back trouble and she uses pillows to stabilize her back. She doesn’t take long rides though, only 20-30 minutes max.

Also, you should remove your email address from the post.

If you really like the vehicle except for the seat, you can bring it to a vehicle upholstery shop and have the seat redone with different types of foam to give you more cushioning or support where you need it.

1 Like

Sorry to hear your troubles. If it is any consolation we have seen a number of posts about new car seats causing issues. Get a long test drive, or rent the model you are considering to

Have you seen a physical therapist? Many times lower back pain is caused by too tight hamstrings. Mine was. Started about the time I was in my early 30’s. After 3 trips to my primary car physician and him prescribing pain killers and muscle relaxers - finally sent me to a physical therapist. After 5 visits I no longer had lower back pain. And haven’t ever since. Every morning the minute I get out of bed is spend a few minutes stretching my hamstrings. When I first started I couldn’t even touch my toes. Now I can grab my feet with legs locked full straight.

Depends where you live. Maryland requires patients to use chiropractors if joint manipulation is involved. Probably should start with a Doctor of Osteopathy (DO) or a Doctor of Physical Medicine. I hurt my back at Disneyworld several years ago and could barely walk. I made the mistake of going to an osteopathic surgeon. He couldn’t find a structural problem and sent me to PT. The therapist decided to manipulate my hip and afterwards I felt a lot better. She gave me stretching exercises to manipulate the hip and I got better. When discharged the surgeon said he could not help me. Duh, he forgot the part about my problem being muscular and not bone related.

Here is a listing of US States and their restrictions (or lack of same) regarding access to Physical Therapy:

Really? Most doctors and physical therapists do NOT recommend a chiropractors. They don’t like the way they forcefully move a misaligned spine. Can easily cause more harm.

That’s the way I understood it when I had my hip problem about 20 years ago. When the PT manipulated my hip she first closed the door, I assumed to make sure no one could see the manipulation. If it had been an allowed activity, it seems to me she would have left the door open.

I also have had very good results using a physical therapist, but I did learn through experience that my sense of whether a therapist’s work was helping was important. Once again it’s a mistake to think that all PT’s are the same. They are not. One PT was far too gentle and kind, and got nowhere with me. I asked to see a different person in the same group and the difference was dramatic.

The same reason why Toyotas aren’t as quiet as they used to be. Because of Lexus.

Toyota is trying not to compete with itself. It doesn’t wanna cannibalize Lexus sales by making the Toyota too nice.