As the Wrench Turns

the radio show is so much more spontaneous. put your mugs on the tv. would be a lot better than the toon. anyway , i’ll give it one more try. GOOD LUCK.

Then They could no longer do the show only wearing slippers, and boxer shorts.

OMG - I love you guys to death - I’ve listened to you two for years - sometimes 4 times a weekend - and was waiting with big anticipation for your PBS debut - after watching one episode and half of another one - I only have this to day - FORGET ABOUT IT!! The writing is ridiculous and you guys are worth so much more than this. Move on, try again, but KILL THIS NOW!!!

Tom & Ray
I have been a loyal listener to the radio show for years and I love it. The Cartoon however is a totaly different animal, ie.(pig, turkey or whatever your particular predilection for ugly animals is)
This show was sooo baaad that it redefines badness. Bad writing, Bad Timing, Bad Directing, does anyone do quality control around there? To call it horrible is an insult to the many other horrible shows that are out there. Now after storing two shows in my Tivo I had to have it sent to the shrink, ( it kept showing me the last scene of Apoclypse Now… The Horror, The Horror…) Give Berman a month at funny farm and then get back to the stellar radio work you do best.

I was eagerly awaiting your show, counting down the days. However, after sticking it out through the first two half-hours, I will be very surprised if PBS follows through with running all the episodes. After the message that this was presented with support from viewers like me, the word that instantly came to mind was “malfeasance.”

It was a magnitude worse than the worst “Scooby Doo” episode.
Unfunny
Lame
What a shame. I was looking forward to it. What happened to the witiness of the radio show?
After the first one I told my wife, "There’s a half hour of my life I’ll never get back."
I recorded the second one and watched snippets of it later. I tried it without the sound on. I tried listening to it without watching. I finally tried watching The Weather Channel instead. It was funnier.

i think it’s great you guys are doing a show. with all that’s going on in the world like fuel prices, the war, the election, numerous natural disasters and of course the increased price of grahamm crackers making smores almost unatainable. it will be great to look forward to an hour a week that can only by association make the worlds troubles seem mundane.

OK, guys. You must have something up your sleeve here. Surely you weren’t thinking that these episodes, with characters I’ve never seen, situations that don’t make any sense to me (yes, I know it IS a cartoon), dialog that sounds like background noise at Starbucks, are a reflection of your incredible media and technical talent. In my view, these episodes committed the cardinal sin of comedy - they just weren’t funny. Call me crazy, but I gauge a comedy by how much it makes me laugh. I laugh out loud at the gym when I listen to your radio show on my ipod. But the room was eerily absent of laughter as we watched the TV show. I think you should take this show back to the dealer, invoke the Lemon Law, and get your money back. And keep us laughing, as you always do, on the radio show. And it’s interesting that you’re broadcasting a repeat radio show this week. Are you afraid to show your faces?

As a long time fan of Click and Clack, I was really looking forward to “As the Wrench Turns”. As it turned out, the animation is really amateur, the characters are totally creapy looking, the story line is totally boring, and Click and Clack just don’t come through as anything more than cameo characters. I turned it off after watching it for 10 minutes.
Whoever produced this atrocity should be sentenced to driving a Yugo the rest of their life.

Sorry guys, the whole thing is absolutely horrible.

Dear Tom, Ray, and Crew—

As for all of the negative so-called critiques of your new TV program, “As the Wrench Turns,” all I have to say is: BO-oh-Oh-OHHHH-GUSS!

Do these Bozos think that just because they are fans of your “Lousy Radio Show” that gives them the right to stomp on every tender branch of your creative exploration, if it doesn’t immediately seem to meet THEIR standards? Just who do they think they are. Water, that branch, I say. Let it flourish and grow…into a humongous thorny bush!

Based on the first two debut episodes, “Wrench” is already my favorite cartoon series since Rocky and Bullwinkle started in show business, which I am old enough to remember. In fact, I intend to write a doctoral dissertation on the correspondence of characterization between the two shows. So far I have found resemblances to Moose, Squirrel, Boris, Natasha, and Dudley Doright. I’m waiting for Mr. Peabody and Sherman to help tie it all together.

The new show is sharp, quirky, twisted, inane, tedious, funny, irritating, and surprisingly political! I like how each episode carved off a different aspect of the workplace dynamic, and I look forward to many new storylines! Especially if the hundreds of Cartalk staff members aren’t all on vacation in some of them.

As for those who think that by watching “As the Wrench Turns” they wasted another hour of their so-called lives, THAT’S the idea! Jee-eece! Or as Pat Paulsen used to say, “Picky, picky, picky!”

Dear Tom & Ray,
After seeing 'As the Wrench Turns", I long for the days of Rocky and Bullwinkle, Boris and Natasha. This show has an Irony Deficiency! Get new writers or do it yourselves… Still LOVE YA!!!

Apparently PBS broadcast a totally different show in the Midwest. The only parts of your review that pertain to what was broadcast by Prairie Public are ‘tedious’ and ‘irritating’ !!!

Your comparison to ‘Rocky and Bullwinle’ is interesting, but not really valid. ‘Rocky and Bullwinkle’ was a totally original show, not an animated version of a long running popular radio show.

I was very curious as to what response Tom and Ray would have to all the adverse response to ‘As The Wrench Turns’. Maybe Tom and Ray actually previewed the episodes that aired and decided to just lay low for a month, or two. in the hope that ‘As The Wrench Turns’ would get quickly and quietly taken off the air and forgotten.

Well, good grief - this is grown-up entertainment that we’re criticizing here, not a child’s drawing. Seems to me that the guys are victims of their own standards. If their radio show hadn’t been so good all these years, maybe we’d expect less.

No wonder you are confused. You think the cartoon series is “an animated version of a long running popular radio show.” Wrong on two counts.

First, it is not an animated version of a radio show; it is an animated story about characters who might take part in the production of a radio show. As such, it is in no way limited to confining itself to the on-air narrative of the radio show at all.

Second, it is not about a popular radio show; it is about Click and Clack’s show. It is so bad it’s good, from my point of view, but that doesn’t make it popular. (You certainly don’t hear the kind of music they play on any popular programming anywhere.)

I would worry that responses like yours would sink the cartoon program before it even hits its stride, except that it is obvious that Tom and Ray didn’t let complaints like this discourage them in the first years of the radio show. They kept doing the show anyway! And that is just what I want to see this time too.

Dear Tom & Ray,

Disregard these complaints about the cartoon program’s writing. Writing-Schmiting!

And please reassure Douggie. I know how he is likely to want to drown his sorrows in more confections, pastries, and dairy delights in response to all of these thoughtless whiners.

Douggie, don’t let the custards get you down!!!

I fear that I must agree with others–I tried to watch the show but gave up in disgust. I an older (just turned 75) listener of your hilarious radio show and I consider myself pretty intelligent, but I could not figure out what your social commentary was or why you evn did this thing. The state of animation today makes the animation look like it was done by some grade school class. The jokes and characters were senseless and ill timed. Shame on you for disappointing so many of your loyal followers.

After reading many of the watchers’ comments I feel safe in sending these comments:

When I heard you were doing a cartoon program of Car Talk, I was dismayed. Uh-Oh, they are on the downhill slope for sure, now. It will be awful I thought.

However I looked forward to it with great anticipation. It was worse than I had imagined! You have “jumped the shark!” (Surely you know what I mean.)

For some reason, the night the episodes aired, our TV would cut out -sometimes no picture, no sound, then picture, no sound, then both were back OK. I’m surprised my husband did not turn it off entirely. Even tho we only saw what amounted to half the program, we were able to follow the plot and characters just fine.

It was a no=brainer. Fifteen minutes would have been long enough. Maybe you should fire more than just one someone.

Stick to the radio show- I love it! Amanda

Sorry Boys, it is a real stinko. I could barely watch the frst 8 minutes before fleeing to a rerun of Law and Order. When the idea came up you should have had a group dope slap. And this from a longtme fan of your radio program.Dave

Well, we agree on one point. ‘As The Wrench Turns’ is not an animated version of ‘Car Talk’.

I think that many ‘Car Talk’ fans tuned in to ‘As The Wrench Turns’ expecting to see just that, an animated version of ‘Car Talk’ and were very disappointed by what they saw.

‘As The Wrench Turns’ is not a ground breaking program ala ‘Rocky and Bullwinkle’, it is not cutting edge commentary about the USA, it is not state of the art, or avante garde, animation.

Exactly what it is is hard to describe.

Other popular radio personalities [ie Howard Stern, Don Immus] have had sucessful TV shows basically just televising their radio shows . Unfortunately Tom and Ray decided to do something different.

IRC, the complainants about the early early days of ‘Car Talk’ came not from listeners, but critics and some very jealous NPR types who thought that a show like ‘Car Talk’ had no business on NPR or any Public Radio Station…

Even now there are NPR personalities who decry the fact that ‘Car Talk’ is so much more popular than their NPR shows.

The local rag here didn’t even bother reviewing ‘As The Wrench Turn’.