Arrested when driving?

lol … no crime spree anticipated, just got curious about this topic after listening to the aforementioned radio program about bail and why some folks think the bail system is unfair, subject to abuse, there should be no bail requirement for many non-violent offenses at all, esp first time offenses. I now realize from the majority of posters here not everyone agrees, and if occasionally somebody is improperly subjected to the arrest & bail process, that’s just the price of having a proper legal system. Like I say, no complaints, just looking for ways to make the necessary accommodations to be prepared in case a no-reason arrest ever happens. I guess most folks would just call their lawyer and the lawyer would bail them out. But I’m more of a diy’er. Plus the lawyer may be in Bermuda.

Well I guess I’m done with this one. You’d be better off carrying $20;000 in $100 bills so you’d be ready for any amount. But then they’d think you were a dealer and rake your money and arrest you.

1 Like

While I can’t speak for every State or Political entity my “assumption” is based on professional experience as part of an outside audit team auditing State finances.
Fines and Fees represent a material revenue flow and a significant part of the audit is documenting and testing the validity and accuracy of these flows.
And like any other entity, Public or Private, there’s always the risk that Revenue is “Ginned Up” or “Diverted Elsewhere” so it always get’s a close look.

I agree with Bing…

People who run around with big wads of cash can run afoul of the police who might use the Russo Law to seize large amounts of cash… It will take time and money to prove that you came by it legally and then your will probably have to prove that you did not have a nefarious reason for carrying that amount of cash (ie: Do you have a reputation of being a big tipper?).

Why The Police Cops Can Confiscate Your Cash with No Crime | Cash Seized by DEA, Customs, Homeland Security?.

A stack of $10,000 in $100 bills is nearly an inch thick and weighs over 3 ounces. Not something easily concealed in a vest pocket or your levis…

Actually, if you do carry that amount of cash with you, you will probably need to call the police to report a robbery after you get mugged…

cash

2 Likes

When in Europe I used one of those money belts with the zippered pocket in the back, but you couldn’t hardly get ten bills in there all folded up. Hard to pick pocket a belt though.

Yeah, definitely not gonna carry cash. Cashier’s check maybe. A bullying thief i guess could force me to endorse the cashier’s check to them though. Can’t win for losing it seems … lol …

I used one of those, along with an “ankle holster” for my passport and credit cards. Obviously, this type of gadget only works if you’re wearing long pants, so it’s not appropriate during hot summer months, but during the more temperate months it’s quite effective because of its placement.

You seem not to be following the comments above. You can’t have a blank cashier’s check. You have to give the payee’s name and the amount at the time your financial institution prepares the check, not to mention that you have to transfer the money to the financial institution at that time.

2 Likes

There can be computer screwups. I’ve been ticketed (and arrested even for equipment violations) more times than I can count. Long hair, beard, Harley means one gets stopped more often than the norm.

When I had to get recertified as a state vehicle inspector there was a question on the application. Do you have any traffic tickets? Please explain. There was one line for this answer.
I simply wrote “Too many to list”. True enough.

A few weeks later a state trooper came to the shop to question me about this answer. He said he could find nothing on me at all. Nothing at the State Patrol, nothing with the DPS offices, the OK City PD, other PD entities, etc. He even checked the FBI files. I assured him those tickets were legit (meaning issued to me) and the only thing he could figure was that someone in records must have hit the wrong PC key and voided it all.
So even though I had less than a zero desire (and intentionally flunked the test with a 30% grade) to become an inspector they recertified and passed me anyway.

1 Like

Suggest to refer to the post above where the term is initially invoked.

Not quite sure what you are saying, “You had to get recertified.” Does that mean your employer requires you to be certified as a state inspector?

Your response to the question of tickets, “Too many to list.” Seems to be sarcasm as if you were trying to not have your application accepted in the first place. Was that your intent?

And your final remark, “had less than a zero desire (and intentionally flunked the test with a 30% grade)”, would seem to answer my second question.

So, I take from your response, you do not want to be a state inspector anymore, so are you required to be one to keep your job, or maybe, you just want to return to the work of a mechanic?

Inquiring minds want to know…

I had no desire to become a state licensed vehicle safety inspector. Why? For several reasons.
A proper inspection is supposed to take over an hour. For that the inspector gets 2 bucks.
An inspector was required to get to the vehicle within half an hour and on a rack. This meant being yanked off of a paying job and relegated to earning pennies. Plus there is the distraction involved when something is critical. (Say a wrist pin keeper which happened to a co-worker and involved going back into an engine (no damage) because of a 2 dollar inspection,)

There’s the customer BS to put up with also. Fail their car and they complain “Oh, just look the other way. I know all tires are bald and the brake pads are missing along with half the lugs but I have an appt. tomorrow for new ones”. Right. Pass the car without a rejection slip and there’s fine and a jail sentence involved.

The employer required the inspection license and what generally happens is that the inspections started getting pencil whipped. You get what you pay for; a measly 2 dollars worth of time. The best thing that ever happened was when OK eliminated that, in all honesty, worthless program. The certificate or lack of did not mean losing my job. Heck; the DPS passed everyone who showed up. Legally blind? Both arms missing? Lobotomy? No problem; here’s your license.

And yes, anyone could ace that worthless kindergarten level inspection test but I wanted to flunk so as to have an excuse to not ever do one at all. I did not want to score 0 as that is too obvious so I intentionally answered 70% of the questions wrong. They passed me and gave me the certificate anyway.

Even the people in charge could not explain some of the process. There were 2 fine print pages on how to check a windshield for cracks. I could not understand one paragraph of it. Think; trigonometry by and for drunks. Tequila would likely clear it all up…
I even asked the DPS guy after that spiel if HE understood it. There’s about 10 seconds of silence followed by a sheepish grin and “Uh…no I don’t”.

The powers that be knew it was all a joke. In surveys it was revealed that 15% of all the cars on the road here in OK should fail for one reason or another. During the last month the program was in place and at the dealer where I worked a 135 inspections were performed. Not all mine.
Not one rejection slip was written…which kind of shows the utter contempt with which we all held the program.

you can go court and pay the fee

I am sorry, I understand now what you were saying and why. I am retired now, but I was a computer programmer and I spent $$$$ (yeah, that’s 4 of them…) getting education and later my certifications, not mention the hundreds, even thousands of hours in after-work study to maintain currency with the technology.

Then perspective employers expect the training and qualifications but offer no extra pay for that expertise. They say, everyone has it, so it’s not a rare commodity of the job applicants, and if they can’t hire one for the pay they are offering, they use a H-1B visa to bring in a non-US resident…

1 Like

For that 2 dollars they also expected wheels and brake drums off, tire tread depth measured, and a number of other things. The 2 dollars was not the only bad part of it. For guys working flat rate this meant that the clock was still ticking while earning money time was being expended on an inspection.

A fast lube down the street did nothing but oil changes and filters. Period. There were no “real” mechanics working there but they did state safety inspections even though most of them had never done any brake/chassis work, etc. Car enters, licensed inspector fills out form while eyeballing the rear of the car with a non-licensed guy watching the front for lighting, wipers, etc.
Safety inspection completed in less than 60 seconds. They spent more time filling out the form than they did actually inspecting the car and which never got a tires/brakes/chassis lookover.

The purpose of the inspection? Although the DPS and state troopers stated it was “public safety” the real reason was that out of the 5 dollar inspection fee the troopers retirement fund got 3 dollars of it. Roughly 3 million vehicles on the road in OK so do the math.
In this case the it actually cost the mechanic money to perform an inspection but the troopers got the benefit of it all. Not meant as a slam against the troopers.

The only way that program was feasible and to keep the mechanic from losing money…
Charge 40 bucks for it and allow the mechanic/inspector to keep at least 30 of it.
Eliminate the program entirely. (Which thankfully is what happened as it was to the point where everyone was pencil whipping them anyway; threat of criminal penalty or not.)

1 Like