Are Volvos still the safest cars?

Not according to this objective ranking of cars. No Volvos in the top 1% for several years:
https://informedforlife.org/

Are they safe cars? Sure, but many others are equally safe, and a number appear even safer.

2 Likes

You do know that Volvo isnā€™t the only car out there with those systems, right?

Yeesh.

BTW, if you want to get nitpicky on the crashworthiness testing, the Tesla Model S is rather famous for being so strong that it broke the crash testing equipment. Can a Volvo do that? :wink:

2 Likes

Me thinks fireman is a Volvo salesman some place.

2 Likes

Additionally, many of the vehicles that are demonstrably safer than Volvos are also far more reliable/durable than any Volvo.

The old 1970s ad bragging that 9 out of 10 Volvos ā€œare still on the roadā€. The popular joke being that technically the breakdown lane is part of the road.

1 Like

Yup!
Each year, the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety lists its ā€œtop safety picksā€ā€“e.g.ā€“the safest vehicles. There is not even one Volvo on their 2019 list!

:thinking:

I remember the Volvo PV 444/544 models when they were new. These cars came along to the United States in the mid 1950s through the mid 1960s. These Volvos had a reputation for being reliable. The styling reminded me of the 1946 Ford. Unfortunately, the later models from Volvo were troublesome. I had two colleagues who owned Volvos from the 1970s and finally gave up on them and traded them for Chevrolets.

Fake news! :blush:

At least the list from USA Today is missing at least two vehicles. The IIHS-HLDI site says the 2019 XC40 is a Top Safety Pick + and the 2019 XC60 is a Top Safety Pick. They donā€™t test all vehicles every year. There were a few Volvos on the list for 2018, too, and the Top Safety Pick appellation would still apply if the 2019 is the same generation as the 2018. The XC40 must have the Advaced Package to get the proper headlights to meet the Top Safety Pick +. Sifting through the IIHS-HLDI safety ratings is becoming a difficult task.

Sorry but Iā€™m not going to click through 30 pages to see what they say. Just give me a list that I can scan. At any rate, the safest car is one that does not get into a crash. How does a car not get into a crash? Defensive driving.

1 Like

Bingā€™s latest ride:

4 Likes

Why are firemanā€™s comments hidden . . . ? :confused:

I read the now hidden comments, and I donā€™t see anything insulting, derogatory, offensive, etc.

But heā€™s obviously COMPLETELY biased towards Volvo . . . to the point that he thinks Volvo is the only safe car available :laughing:

3 Likes

So bing & george have vehicleā€™s from the same era?

2 Likes

+1

Bla,bla,bla. (ten characters)

4 Likes

Yeah that would be pretty safe because Iā€™d never be able to learn to shift the dang thing.

Reminded me though when I worked in the caster plant about 1967, the guy that ran the supply crib drove what must have been a 32 coupe. He lived about a mile away and drove it home for lunch too. Painted it baby blue which was not an OEM color. I was always amazed that it started no matter what in the winter during Christmas break or summer. I suppose heā€™s dead now.