Are these repairs critical? what about these costs?

Don’t replace your plugs yet unless the car starts or runs rough.

Here in the North East…doing that could mean that you will be changing your plugs in January when the temps are -10…

I check my plugs once a year…and will change BEFORE they are needed.

@MikeInNH:
Manual only specifies: “Use only iridium-tipped spark plugs and do not adjust gaps for your engine performance and smooth drive-ability” -The second part of that statement is lost on me. Regardless -it’s time to change them and this task I’m leaving to an independent mechanic -and before winter sets in. THANKS

@jtsanders:
The manual only gives directions for checking power steering fluid levels -there are no recommendations at all for replacing the fluid.

As already stated, NGK is a brand name. Toyota uses NGKs and Nippon-Denso plugs as original equipment. I’ve had problems in the past with other brands, so I’ll only use NGKs now.

The metal names, platinum and irridium, are the metals in the center electrode. The plug fires by releasing a high voltage arc across the electrodes. That causes erosion of the center electrode due to vaporization. Irridium erodes far slower than platinum, therefore maintaining a better spark for longer.

A little more info. the same mountain bike is totally correct. But there are two reasons for using NGK Irridium tipped plugs. The Irridium does not erode any where near as fast as iron tipped plugs. Because of that, the Irridium tip is ground to a finer point.

The fine point causes a more intensified spark because the ionization field that occurs around the tip just before it arcs is more concentrated. This intensified spark provides greater assurance that the fuel air mixture will ignite properly.

I drain and refill the power steering fluid reservoir once or twice a year.
I siphon with a bit of hose, but it can also be done with a turkey baster.

“Here in the North East…”

It seems to me that if irridium plugs are normally changed at about 100,000 miles, blanched has a few years before they actually need to be changed.

@blanched: why is it time right now to change them? If you don’t mind paying the $187.24, go ahead. But you did seem reluctant at one point. As you may know, dealer serve shops sometimes suggest “preventative maintenance” so that they are the ones that get your money. Unless you notice rough running or a gas mileage drop, I wouldn’t worry about it just yet. But it’s your money and your peace of mind. If you feel better changing the plugs, you should do it.

It seems to me that if irridium plugs are normally changed at about 100,000 miles

If it’s a few years…then fine…What I’m saying is don’t WAIT until there’s a problem. If you normally put 20k miles on a year…and now you have 90k miles…then waiting until you have 100k miles or until you have a problem is NOT going to be fun. I know…I’ve done that…I put about 30k miles a year on my vehicles…and when my vehicle used regular plugs I started changing them once a year even though they would last 40k miles…One time I didn’t…and by March the plugs had more then 50k miles…and I really noticed the deterioration…Ended up changing my plugs on a nice cold afternoon (about 25 degrees).

That’s why I would change them sooner then later. Waiting until there’s a problem can also cause other problems…Like hard starting (thus shortening the life of the starter).

According to what Blanched said… (8 years or 125k miles)…Well his vehicle is almost 9 years old…so it sounds to me like they’re due.