Are the genuine parts or oil or fluid really any better than aftermarket ones

I would be careful, had a 12 pack of billy beer, in the for the future collection, Did not know you are supposed to drain the beer, Billy beer corroded a can from the inside out and ruined the 12 pack, I guess you might be okay if you do not have an aluminum block. :cat:

2 Likes

@Barkydog. That’s interesting. I had a call from a local company that manufacturers beverage cans. They had some data and I set up a model for them to calculate the rate of decay of the inside of the can.
Back in the late 1970s, our local grocery sold generic brands. I bought the generic beer. On close examination it was Falstaff.

Preparing to get flagged, but wish wife had not thrown out nude beer, probably would make a good summer coolant, condensation would make the bikini disappear, but does it work on cars? :cat:

2 Likes

I did have a strange experience with house brand products some 40 years ago before my wife and.I were married, but we’re going together. .We were at the grocery store and I was picking up some dog food. I picked up a sack of the house brand. My wife made the comment “Is that what you feed your dog?”. “Yes”, I replied. “He’s just a little cheap.pup I got from the pound”. Another customer witnessed the event​ and.screamed at me.so.loud.about mistreating my dog by not purchasing expensive food that she could be heard throughout the store. Well, the dog liked the house brand food and thrived on it
 The dog lived to be 15. I buy the.house.bran d at the grocery.store. I ran my 1978 Olds for.33.years and 240,000 miles until the rust.got.it. I used gasoline from an independent station. I often used house brand oil. If my Oldsmobile could.last as long as it did, my dog lived lived to.15 on house brand dog food.and am am a healthy 75 on house brand food and drink, who needs name brands and OEM.parts?

Well we are stuck on Rachael Ray dog food and mid grade shell, bp or mobile gas, our golden is 14 and doing well, as is my 03 car, I guess I personify my vehicles, thinking the better you treat them, the bettter they will treat you, so I guess the conclusion could be I wasted money on upgraded parts and fuel, but cash is such a fickle thing, could be bankrupted by medical expenses tomorrow, Could be hit by a streetcar and killed, what if what if, not trashing you, but there are odds, not guarantees.

Your gasoline has the power of locomotion?
:confused:

1 Like

GIVE ME BRAKE! tRUST ME I am engineerer

1 Like

You are correct. The vehicles will do as well or better on Dex-Cool! I have vehicles to prove it. One with over 300,000 miles never had a wrench on the engine, except spark plugs. I won’t even take it in for the valve cover recall!

Like I said, it takes a lot of flak. It’s mostly a myth, like the Asian Car Myth. :scream_cat:

1 Like

Ha, ha :smile:
I love those dog food commercials on TV. They advertise dog food with no animal by-products, kale and vegetables, gluten free and give dogs human characteristics, with one actress referring to her dog as “My boy!” Ha, ha, ha, :smiley_cat:

Meanwhile, what they don’t show you, is My Boy is breaking loose from his leash so he can roam the neighborhood in search of a decent meal from a garbage can or some nice road kill! Arf, Arf, Arf! :poodle:

I wish I had been there to see that! :wink:
CSA

I spent a couple years in the can plant-beer cans, vegetable cans, spray cans, bottle caps, etc. Prior to aluminum but the beer cans all were coated on the inside. We’d run all different brands so regardless of whether a major brand or and off brand, the cans all came from the same place. I thought it was the dances and hunting but the can plant is probably why I can’t hear too well.

My grand father worked at Continental Can in Chicago from the late 30’s until he passed, in the early 60’s. He could barely hear any thing after just 10 years there.

The Anheuser-Busch plant here in NH uses 100% recycled cans for their beer cans. They really don’t reuse the cans, but the material from used beer (coke, pepsi
etc) cans for their beer cans. Recycling does work.

Recycling works well for some things, aluminum beverage cans being one of them.

I live in the middle of nowhere, but our county has a decent recycling program (no curb-side pick-up). We take our recyclables to town when we go.

My wife and I can generally go a month and put out just I/2 garbage bag of refuse for the land-fill after we recycle everything else. :sunny: We’re almost like those damned “green” progressive folks! :wink:

One can only hope that the beer companies stay with cans only. I wouldn’t want them following NASA’s lead and begin recycling the beer, itself! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
CSA

Me either
however I’ve had beer that I think WAS recycled.

Continental was our competitor. Our company color was green. Back then ear plugs were not issued as a matter of course. Salt tablets everywhere but no ear plugs. Had to buy your own but they weren’t readily available back then either-prior to invention of the foam plugs. Now you can buy 'em by the dozen at Walmart, drug stores, farm stores etc. for shooters and so on. As much as we rail on OSHA, they have made some important inroads in protecting worker health.

I know what you mean about the beer, @MikeInNH. Many years ago a couple friends and I went regularly to a bar in DC that served beers from around the world. At the time, it was a novelty. We bought beer for each other. It was more adventurous that way. Once someone bought me a Yuchuan beer from China. It was so bad that I declared it a lasting tribute to the capitalist system. A year or two after this tasting, the Yuchuan brewery was destroyed in an earthquake. We figured it was the act of a merciful God.

2 Likes

Its all in the packaging! Toyota genuine dot 3 brake fluid is the same as any aftermarket dot 3 brake fluid.You pay more because they put their name on the bottle.

Not all DOT3 fluids are the same. Honda recommends using their brake fluid because it has a high boiling point. I substitute a Valvoline product that is also a hydrocarbon fluid and has a very high boiling point. I’ve used it for over 140,000 miles in my Accord without adverse effects.

2 Likes

That is completely false! you probably work for a Honda stealership. DOT 3 is DOT 3. I bet Honda service tech don’t use their own stuff
probably a generic DOT 3 brake fluid goes in the brake system.Its all in the packaging!