Are manual transmissions cheaper to replace than automatics once they break?

… and why are we discussing starters and engine configurations in a discussion about transmissions?

to me a manual transmission is about as antiquated as a hand crank. Sure. a manual is cheaoer and needs less maintainence than an auto. As does power windows & locks, or power brakes, or power steering or Air conditioning, etc, but some of us would rather be comfortible than CHEAP!!.. and why are we discussing starters and engine configurations in a discussion about transmissions? Because you did not get the comparison of a hand crank to a manual transmission. I brought up the thing about engine configurations to show how far out some of your statements are. I wish I had kept track of some of the other “far out,” unrelated statements you have made on Car Talk!

Circuitsmith, you said that" Whitey suggested raising idle speed in order to reduce the time between power strokes, not the crank rotation". Well how the heck can you speed up the time between Power Strokes and not speed up the Crank Rotation hu?

Even an engine that is “missing” on a few cylinders will smooth out if you speed it up. I wonder when Ford will realize THIS “concept”?

Did you guys see the thread about the old man that Taped up a leaky brake line and is going to drive it that wat, just adding brakefluid very regularly. Well talking to you guys is about like talking to his Dad.

It is an antiquated solution that works for some of us.

Modern automatics do not go the immediate moment after I push the pedal. They don’t slow down IMMEDIATELY after I release. They don’t down shift until I really press down on the pedal, than it downshift WAY TOO MANY GEARS at once, and none too smoothly. Being jerked around by the computer some engineer programed is not more COMFORTABLE; it is a mental torture. I know if I mis-matched my rev during a shift, it would be my bad. But I have the ability to smooth out my shift as much as I like.

If none of those issues above bothers you, stick with your automatic and let us appreciate our beloved manual transmissions. Clouding the issue with hand crank, engine configurations, and taped up brake lines in an attempt to win an argument is sad.

It is so sad that I am crying. I have an automatic transmission now (smoothest one I ever had) and no one in the car can tell when the thing shifts or what gear it is in.
I cannot believe how many of you guys are so (I hate to say ignorant) but I can’t think of anything that fits so well. I also cannot believe that there isn’t someone on here that agrees that you last 3 guys don’t even make a good argument.

I hesitate to say anything, as I’m sure it will just perpetuate this thread. But what the heck…Some of us actually like to have a modicum of control over the vehicles, rather than just a brake to mash down.

I prefer a manual, and if my truck had it as an option, I would have a manual there, too. My (wife’s) car has a manual. She prefers a manual. The delay in control you experience with an automatic doesn’t exists with a manual. If no one in your car can tell when the transmission shifts, then either you have a very light foot, or it’s a CVT. In every vehicle I’ve ever been in (automatic or manual), you can tell when it shifts. I like knowing what’s happening under the hood, what gear it’s in, etc. If you don’t care, good for you.

Stop trying to make an argument that a LOT of car guys just don’t buy. The soccer mom’s of the world do, and that’s OK (nothing against soccer mom’s, either).

My aunt, who hated riding in a jerky stick shift car, couldn’t tell that I was driving one until I told her. On the other hand, I’ve driven automatic rentals that jerked me around just as I described.

On what basis are you calling other ignorant?

If I didn’t have a camper to tow I’d probably get a vehicle with a manual transmission. But the vehicle’s on my list that I like and can tow my 3000lb + camper with all now come with Automatics ONLY…

But I prefer a manual…I like having more control over the vehicle (especially in snow) then an automatic can give me. And as far as comfort…After driving an manual for 35+ years…it’s so instinctive that I rarely remember even shifting. I can’t tell you how many times I driving down the highway and I have to look to see what gear I’m in…because I don’t ever remember shifting into 5th…

EllyEllis, I think the point people are trying to make is that this is a matter of preference, and calling people “ignorant” just because they don’t share your preference says more about you than it does us. It’s like you’re saying, “You don’t like what I like, so you’re stupid!” Real mature.

No, nobody is ignorant because they have a different preference than I. They are ignorant because they say stupid things.
Itlooks like I have been "ganged up on " so I will rest my case, but I know I will see more stupid remarks from you. Keep on driving 4 cylinder cars with mmanual transmissions and no accesories because they are cheaper to operate. I drive a V6, auto, power windows & locks, satelite radio that is phone ready (hands free) , tire pressure monitor and much more, and I am willing to pay the price. AND the only way I can tell when my car shifts is by the sound of the engine.
The OP asked if a manual transmission was cheaper to replace and the answer is YES, and are cheaper to maintain. Cheap, cheap, cheap.
Have a happy Halloween!

In this economy, it must be nice to have extra money to spend on luxuries. Some of us can’t afford things like a gas guzzling V6 and all the fuel it uses. Some of us can’t afford a satellite radio subscription, and to replace an automatic transmission when it fails. Yep, some of us have to make fiscally responsible decisions. Congratulations that you aren’t one of us, and congratulations on the fact that you obviously think you are superior.

And some of us want everything but the manual. How do you explain the 80% take rate of manual Miata? At 22k, it isn’t cheap, nor practical. How about the 50% take rate on manual MINI, vs 5% for the industry average? Do you really think that people can’t afford a few extra bucks on monthly payments?

Equating manual to dirt cheap is anachronistic

Thanks for the congratulations But from now on THINK before you post some ridiculous statement on Car Talk

Chunky, what do you mean by "And some of us want everything but the manual " Because I am uneducated, I don’t understand.

When I grow up, I want to be just like EllyEllis. I will buy nothing but the most expensive options, and then I will rub people’s noses in it when they make fiscally responsible decisions. YEAH! I ALREADY FEEL SUPERIOR!

“Well how the heck can you speed up the time between Power Strokes and not speed up the Crank Rotation”

Elly, it seems you don’t understand the concept of time, or at least the proper terminology.
You can’t “speed up the time”, period. Read up on Einstein.
The term “180 degrees crank rotation” has nothing to do with speed.

So you think someone drives an exotic Italian sports car with a stick shift because it’s cheap?

One thing I haven’t seen brought up yet is the issue of driver skill. For a skilled driver, it is possible to get 200k or more on a clutch. For the average driver, it’s considered a wear item that lasts-what, 60k? 100k? There’s also a few number of people out that may as well get a new clutch with every oil change. Where you fall on that spectrum is going to impact the cost/benefit analysis a lot. Automatics are a lot harder to screw up.

“There’s also a few number of people out that may as well get a new clutch with every oil change”.

I used to mow the grass and clean up around a shop of an old time mechanic when I was in high school. He had some great stories. One was about a customer who had a Buick Roadmaster. The customer first visited his shop when the Buick needed a clutch. My employer replaced the clutch which was made more difficult on these old Buicks because it had torque tube drive and the rear axle had to be dropped to drop the driveshaft to remove the transmission. At any rate, 2 months later the Buick came back with the clutch shot again. Again the clutch was replaced, only to have the Buick come back after two months with another bad clutch. My employer, after changing the clutch, decided to have the customer take him for a ride. The customer only released the clutch to the friction point when he drove so the clutch was slipping badly. When my employer suggested the the customer that he should let the clutch all the way out, the customer replied, “This is the only way I know how to drive the car. I’ll pay for the clutches, but don’t tell me how to drive”.

“At any rate, 2 months later the Buick came back with the clutch shot again. Again the clutch was replaced, only to have the Buick come back after two months with another bad clutch. My employer, after changing the clutch, decided to have the customer take him for a ride. The customer only released the clutch to the friction point when he drove so the clutch was slipping badly.”

Wow. I’ll be honest; I really thought I would be exaggerating to the point of absurdity with the “New clutch every oil change bit”, but it just goes to show you. At least he wasn’t grinding gears…

‘Wow. I’ll be honest; I really thought I would be exaggerating to the point of absurdity with the “New clutch every oil change bit”, but it just goes to show you’.

I’ll bet the customer would also resist the change to an automatic transmission. He probably figured that he drove a standard shift perfectly well. Unfortunately, when I worked for the mechanic, this customer had been deceased for quite a while.

circuitsmith
8:56AM Report
" I still think this is impossible Well how the heck can you speed up the time between Power Strokes and not speed up the Crank Rotation"

I never said anything abojt time Elly, it seems you don’t understand the concept of time, or at least the proper terminology.
Never said anything about timeYou can’t “speed up the time”, period. Read up on Einstein.
Never said it did. The term “180 degrees crank rotation” has nothing to do with speed.

I never said this either, I don’t remember who did So you think someone drives an exotic Italian sports car with a stick shift because it’s cheap?

Yes