Are hybrids or diesels healthy?

I think you take what he says out of context.  The batteries are insanely dangerous IF BROKEN, just as a tank of gas is.   I disagree it's more likely for the gas to spill, neither one (battery breach OR gas tank leak) really happens that often even in a severe accident.  

As for your question -- well, there's umm..nuts... that worry about "cell tower radiation" (as they usually call it) too.   Some people claim magnetic fields really screw them up.  However, I've read about double blind studies, where these people were told a magnetic field generator had a LED on it, and to let them know when they noticed any symptoms.   As soon as they turned on the LED, these people'd start complaining how sick they felt.   Then get quite mad when the researchers pointed out they'd ONLY turned on the LED and the equipment wasn't actually running.  I also read an anecdote about some people that complained about a radio tower a ham radio operator put up how it was making them sick, and he pointed out there was not going to be any equipment at the site for another 2 months, it was an inert tower.  In other words, I think this stuff is generally placebo effect.

As for diesel fumes -- I've been around 2000-vintage VWs, I saw one puff a small black puff once when someone took off in one when it was about -10 degrees.   And once when someone floored it to pass me.   Even then it wasn't enough I smelled anything.   And these had electronic fuel injection (as opposed to the mechanical systems some older diesels had) but by no means were they comparable to the current generation of even cleaner diesels.  So, it MIGHT give you a headache, but I would guess you won't smell a thing.

LOL, but Oldschool, doesn’t the smell and exhaust of a gas engine smell bad to you too?

Yeah it is also bad, but that diesel just tears me up. We had one mechanic who was mid-way through a automatic transmission internal repair and he developed a chemical sensitivity,he had to quit his job and never returned to auto repair.Was his ailment real or imagined? I have read that some doctors believe that chemical sensitivity is a phycologicaly induced ailment

And Columbus never would have discovered America.

I’m totally with Oldschool on this one. I personally think diesel reeks, both in its raw state and in its burned state. If I’m behind a diesel vehicle for long my sinuses get messed up.

I’m With Oldschool On That, Too. One Exception Is If I’m Behind A Diesel Fueled With Used Restaurant Cooking Oil. That Exhaust Usually Smells Like French Fries And Then I Enjoy Following !

The problem is that I don’t think there’s enough deep-friers around to fuel a population of diesel drivers.

CSA

When I worked on the fuel systems of the old Mercedes diesels I always splashed a few drops of diesel behind by ears in the morning. Like a fine French perfume! LOL!
I loved its manly odor…

Here is a vehicle that has the potential to exceed the fuel economy of the Prius, try the post 2010 Ford Focus 1.6 Duratorq TDCi (109PS) 5 Door Saloon (ECO Start-Stop) 5 spd MT VCA rated 62.8/74.3/83.1 mpg(Imperial) urban/combined/extra urban … which should deliver about 52/62/69 mpg(US) city/combined/highway for the “light footed” US driver with CO2 emission of 99 g/km.
http://www.vcacarfueldata.org.uk/search/vehicleDetails.asp?id=25545

Or you can look at the Fiesta Euro Step 5 diesel rated about 64 mpg(us) combine at 98 g/km CO2.
http://www.vcacarfueldata.org.uk/search/vehicleDetails.asp?id=25511

There are a few fairly clean fuel efficient Opel(GM) diesels as well.

But Fiat Power Train (FPT)/Chrysler is the one to watch for future surprises!

Toyota’s battery supply/recycling center told me within the last 6 months that there was a $2.5k to $3.5k “core charge” BILLED to anyone that DOES NOT return the the replaced battery-pack.

That is a VERY STRONG RECYCLING incentive!

There is no question that some people are HYPER-allergic! Our daughter has had reactions in a room with strawberries in it that sent her to the ER unable to breath.

Hopefully that is NOT your type of problem with automotive emissions (diesel).

Now that Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel (ULSD) is the US standard, you might try an "exhaust pipe’ sniff test on a NEW Audi or VW TDi at a dealership and see if it is still a problem. This class of “cleaner” emissions may no longer disturb you … HOPEFULLY the case.

While you are at it … listen to VW’s diesel engine. According to VCA (UK’s equivalent to EPA’s fueleconomy.gov) many EU small displacement (below 2 Liters) diesels are as quiet as the Prius … 69 dB(A) when moving. That certainly MUCH QUIETER THAN Det3 US diesels … and MANY their gasoline vehicles as well.

Here are some comparative footprints:

Try this for starters.

US electrical power = 49% from coal fired power plants

US Coal Plant Emissions (in 10E+6 metric tons) annually
. CO2 ==== 24,800
. SO2 ======== 78
. NOx ======== 33

US coalfired “power plant fleet efficiency” = 33% i.e., 1 kWh (3,412 Btu/kWh) output per 10,400 Btu coal input

Transport of electricity (estimated transmission efficiency) ~ 92%-94% … which results in a “coalfired system efficiency” of 30% just getting ELECTRICITY to the vehicle plug.

It is hoped that CO2, SOx, and NOx emissions will be reduced reduced to more acceptable level from the US coalfired fleet within 15 to 25 years … but, it will come at a price in power plant efficiency (additional parasitic losses between 5% and 20% in efficiency just for emissions abatement).

Volt Emissions in EV mode (Predicted ASSUMING 51% of Electrical Energy is from hydro, solar, & Wind)

=======grams/mile ==== grams/km
. CO2 ===== 319 ======= 198
. SO2 ======= 0.512 ====== 0.318
. NOx ======= 0.217 ====== 0.135

Tier 2 Bin 5 Limit
. NOx ======= 0.070 ====== 0.043

Note that in EV mode, the Volt’s NOx emissions appear to exceeds Tier 2 Bin 5 limit by more than 3x even with ONLY 49% of the electrical energy coal sourced and assuming the remaining electrical energy is TOTALLY emissions free (Actually, about 20% is natural gas generated, at roughly 50% efficiency, adding more CO2 emissions).

Astra 5 Door Hatchback 1.7CDTi 16v (125PS) diesel
. CO2 ===== 200 ====== 124
. NOx ======= 0.208 ===== 0.129
http://www.vcacarfueldata.org.uk/search/vehicleDetails.asp?id=24330

Insignia (Regal?) 2.0CDTi (160PS) EcoFLEX M6 diesel
. CO2 ===== 219 ===== 136
. NOx ======= 0.172 ==== 0.107
http://www.vcacarfueldata.org.uk/search/vehicleDetails.asp?id=24829

It appears from available data that the 60~76 mpg(Imperial) combine [about 50~63 mpg(US) combined] European type Step V small displacement (below 2 Liters) turbo diesels are potentially cleaner and more energy efficient than the current PHVs and EVs as a general class operating with energy demands HIGHER THAN 0.250 kWh/mile from the GRID.

Energy consumed (released) Btu/mile = HEAT = thermal polution?
note: 1 Btu raises 1 pound of water 1? F

= 3420 — Volt with 50% coal & 25% NG/mile

= 2800 — Astra * http://www.vcacarfueldata.org.uk/search/vehicleDetails.asp?id=24330

= 3111 — Insignia (Regal?) * http://www.vcacarfueldata.org.uk/search/vehicleDetails.asp?id=24829

= 3500 — S-Max (a moderate sized SUV?) http://www.vcacarfueldata.org.uk/search/vehicleDetails.asp?id=25604

= 2211 — Fiesta * http://www.vcacarfueldata.org.uk/search/vehicleDetails.asp?id=25511

= 2261 — Focus * http://www.vcacarfueldata.org.uk/search/vehicleDetails.asp?id=25545

= 6222 — average US light vehicle in 2008 at 22.5 mpg combined (Monroney)

= 4999 — predicted average for 2016 US CAFE compliant fleet at average 28 mpg combined (Monroney)

• These vehicles could save 17 to 19 barrels of crude oil plus about 55 million Btus in thermal emissions [enough to boil roughly 187 tons of water or thaw 190 tons of ice] per vehicle year for the life of the vehicle (20 to 25 years) when compared to the current and 2016 US domestic light vehicle fleet fuel economies.

These are reasonably accurate comparisons of emissions, carbon footprint, and relative energy consumption.

OK…Let’s to the math…I’ll assume that you are 100% correct and you Prius gets 48mph highway…

A Civic…gets 34-36 highway…

If you drive 20k miles a year…and you average $3/gal for gas…then the total savings for the Prius will be a little over $500/yr…The cost difference between the Civic and the Prius is about $5000…so it’ll take you 10 years for the payback…

So I still say YES…the Prius probably isn’t worth it.

Now if most of your commute is city driving…the Prius is still getting around 50mpg…but the Civic drops to around 25mpg…Now the payback is close to 5 years…And if you have a longer commute…(say 30k miles/yr)…then it’s down to close to 3-4 years payback.

all automobiles contribute in polluting the air. Whatever you use. Yes i agree with you about the diesel but in little way still can cause pollution. Just my honest opinion. :slight_smile:

That is a VERY STRONG RECYCLING incentive!

First time I had to replace a caliper on my 98 Pathfinder…there was a $100 core deposit for a $40 item… They really really wanted that core back.

What’s the 1/4 time of that diesel Focus? A 6.2L Corvette can get upwards of 30 MPG on the highway, yet produces 300% more horsepower, You get 3 fold increase in power for 50% reduction in fuel economy, now that’s efficiency in my book.

Payback?? I thought that load went away long ago.
What vehicle ever pays you back?
Where’s the payback for buying a Corvette over a Cobalt?
Where’s the payback for buying an Escalade over a Corrola?
And how does a Harley ever pay you back anything?

Why is the Prius the ONLY vehicle held to a payback schedule?

(Sorry if that came across too strong Mike. Anyways, I just don’t see holding the Prius to a payback factor.)

What vehicle ever pays you back?

HEY…BUB…You asked the question…NOT ME…I made the statement that if you drive mostly highway then buying a Prius isn’t worth it…So now that I show you the math you’re saying it doesn’t matter…THEN WHY DID YOU ASK THE QUESTION…

Why is the Prius the ONLY vehicle held to a payback schedule?

You buy a vehicle for your needs…Comparing an Escalade to a Corolla is just plain STUPID…If I’m looking at buying a Escalade…I surely wouldn’t also be looking to buy a Corolla…TWO completely different animals…with different needs. BUT…if you’re looking to purchase a small (Sorry the Prius is NOT considered a mid-size) vehicle then one thing many of us consider is COST…And MOST people who are buying a Hybrid…the MAIN reason they buy one is COST SAVINGS…So you MUST compare the cost of the whole ownership…NOT just gas mileage…And if your commute is mainly highway AND you drive lets say 12k miles a year…then you are WASTING money. It’s your money do with what you want…but please don’t come here asking for justification of your purchase and then get upset when someone shows you that you made a financially STUPID decision.

I didn’t ask you for any advice, nor will I ever. You have no information I could ever need.
You are totally ignorant in the arena of hybrids, but insist on posting misinformation anyway.
Your attitude on this list is wearing thin.

You waste your money any way You want BUB!

didn’t ask you for any advice, nor will I ever.

Taken directly from your post…

Mike, the 2010 Prius is EPA rated at 48mpg highway (50mpg city).
I’m curious why you think a mid-sized car rated at 48mpg wouldn’t be a wise choice if the commute is mostly highway? Why would this not make sense?

You are totally ignorant in the arena of hybrids, but insist on posting misinformation anyway.

Please show me what misinformation I’ve stated…

Your attitude on this list is wearing thin.

MY ATTITUDE…BUB…You came after me after I SHOWED you that for MOST situations…buying a Hybrid is NOT a good financially sound thing to do. You got really flustered when I did the simple math for you…Sorry if you made a bad purchase…but don’t blame me for wasting your money.

For the record…I have stated MANY times here in Car-Talk that Hybrids are GREAT…but only in certain situations…My neighbor owns a Civic Hybrid…Drives about 30k miles a year…and most of his driving is back-roads…For him a HYBRID is an EXCELLENT choice.

Don’t bother with the notion of a “carbon footprint”. That whole myth is another made up term for more money. Just not more money for you.