Are 1997 Volvo 850 sedan OEM parts no longer made?

I recently went to the Volvo dealer with my 1997 Volvo 850 (152,920 miles) who found a power steering fluid leak, a transmission fluid leak and some broken (rear) engine mounts. So I left the car behind with them. After six weeks, I am told that OEM parts are not available, and since they are a dealer, they can not guarantee their work with non-OEM parts (I can accept this part). It is surprising to me that Volvo no longer makes replacement parts for a car that I still, but rarely, see on the road. Of course, it is possible that the dealer does not want to deal with such an old car abd he is the only guy around for hundreds of miles. Is my option really to go after-market, assuming these parts can be found from them? The car drives great, and getting it unnecessarily replaced would be my last option.

1 Like

If you can’t get OEM parts, then you install aftermarket parts.

Besides, the components you’re probably talking about weren’t made by Volvo.

Tester

4 Likes

Not unexpected for a 26 year old car. If aftermarket parts are the only part new available, your only choice is to use new aftermarket, or used parts from a parts recycler. Ask the dealership if the power steering pump can be rebuilt rather than replaced? New aftermarket motor mounts are probably fine. The transmission leak can probably be fixed good as new using a new aftermarket gasket. Suggest to avoid an aftermarket steering pump if at all possible.

1 Like

Manufacturers generally carry parts for 10 years. The exceptions are parts used in later models. And some manufacturers are better at that than others.

This Volvo is waaay beyond that. Aftermarket parts are your only choice.

3 Likes

Thanks! The dealer claims that they do not use aftermarket parts because they can not stand behind their warranties. So, I guess I have to go somewhere else.

Thanks, I see. I did not realize that the window was so small. I have been lucky in the past with regard to the need for OEM parts, I guess.

1 Like

Either the parts were still in production for a newer model (shared part) or they still had some NOS (new old stock) parts in the back collecting dust, dealers if they have the room will hang on to these parts until sold out…

1 Like

I’d find a European/Volvo car repair shop with good reviews and/or recommendations and have them fix it. I found lots of aftermarket engine mounts on Rockauto, so a shop should have no trouble finding most parts.

2 Likes

Thanks, so silly question perhaps, do I go to the car repair shop and tell them what the diagnosed problems are and have them fix it, or have them find out. I guess I am concerned with going in and “telling” them what the diagnosis is. Do egos need massaging?

1 Like

Take it to the new shop and tell them the same problem you took it to the dealer for… You will have to pay for an inspection and then compare the 2 findings…

Yes about the worst thing you can do is to tell the mechanic how to do his/her job… They will be thinking if you know how to fix it then why did you bring it there…

2 Likes

No. You don’t want to tell them how to do their job, and you want to get a second opinion on what the actual problem is. That’s why it’s important to find a good shop, so you can trust their diagnosis, since the dealer isn’t an option.

2 Likes

Thank you for this!

The Volvo dealer will not agree to rebuild your power steering pump

OP, suggest to Google “Volvo power steering pump rebuild kit” (check at Rockauto too) , if there’s a kit available for rebuilding your specific pump. db4690’s above comment is probably correct, dealership won’t do that job. But there may be a local shop that will. Ask around.

1 Like

Why would any shop rebuild a power steering pump when a remanufactured unit could be installed?

Tester

4 Likes

I think he can afford a new power steering pump, is the pump leaking? If the high pressure hose is leaking, a new pump won’t help.

1 Like

The title of the post says “oem parts no longer made”. Are you suggesting using a new aftermarket pump? That might work, but I think OP would get better long-term results keeping the original oem PS pump and just having it rebuilt. Can’t speak to the quality of aftermarket PS pumps, but I’ve had two aftermarket starter motors for my Corolla fail right out of the box.

1 Like

All of the part you buy are faulty. You should stop shopping at the “Bad out of the box” store.

There are a variety of parts available from Rock Auto, I replaced the power steering hose on my car 12 years ago with a Gates hose, quality is just as good as OEM.

A new, quality power steering pump will be more reliable than a used one reconditioned in an auto repair shop.

Hopefully OP will keep us informed of the progress. No dispute a PS fluid leak is often caused by a leaking hose, not the pump. and no dispute Gates is a reputable brand & may well make the actual oem hoses the manufacturer uses. I think I purchased a Gates timing belt for my Corolla a while back, been working fine.

Personally, I wouldn’t purchase any rebuilt power steering pumps obtained from a parts store unless there was simply no other option. But it is certainly possible one of those might work perfectly, straight from the box. The proof as they say is in the pudding.

1 Like

How many power steering pump rebuilding shops are in your area? I’d trust a factory-rebuilt pump over one from a shop I’ve not dealt with.

To clarify, there’s no specific law that mandates that OEM be available for 10 years, The closest requirement is that parts be available for the length of the manufacturer’s warranty.
On the other hand the good news is that for high production vehicles, the original parts manufacturer or an aftermarket supplier will often continue to fill the demand.

Regarding rebuilt parts and aftermarket supplies, the quality can vary greatly which is often reflected in the price. Shave a few dollars on materials, labor and QC and you’ve got a “bargain” that isn’t such a bargain when you have to replace it in a year and pay for labor again.

Bottom line for me is that I haven’t had any problems using quality 3rd party or rebuilt parts, installed by a knowledgable professional mechanic on cars that are 10, 20 and even 50 years old BUT I expect to pay for it.