Anyone know what's involved in doing a timing belt on a 99 Dodge Stratus?

I’m looking at a $500 99 Dodge Stratus (2.4L DOHC 4 cylinder) that needs a timing belt done (everything else is fine supposedly). Gates.com indicates it’s not an interference engine so I’m guessing if I can do the belt change myself everything else should be fine?

Not sure how involved it might be to do this myself, don’t have the service manual (yet - I would buy it if I do the job) but I wanted to get some opinions on this purchase first in case there’s other things to consider or if the timing belt on this particular car/engine is extremely difficult.

Thanks!

I’ve never done this job on a Dodge Stratus. But if everything else checks out, get the car! (I am assuming that $500 price tag is not a misprint.) Grab it before someone else steps in.

After taking possession of the car, get the manual and decide for yourself if the timing belt is a DIY job. I guess you already know that it is also prudent to change the water pump at the same time. If you simply don’t feel competent about doing these services yourself, have a shop do it. It may well be worth paying the hour’s labor.

Yup, $500. I just don’t want to get in over my head. But I’ve got the time to do it and am feeling adventurous. The timing belt kit (belt, idler, etc) is $149 at Rockauto, the water pump is about $40.

Only thing that worries me is not being able to check out other things on the car since it’s not running, especially things needed to pass the safety inspection.

easy on a lift,on the ground(you got a challege)but can be done.

you are correct on hearing it run though,be leary,anyone who lets a T-belt break,obviously is not a(MAINT GURU)

good luck

If you have a service manual and the correct tools, I’m sure you can do it. I’ve replaced timing belts on 4 different cars (VW, Pontiac, Subaru, and Toyota), at home in my garage, with the help of service manuals and LOTS of patience. I think I had to purchase at least one tool for every job, but that’s part of the fun.

As far as “everything else should be fine,” that’s another story. A used car that cannot be driven cannot be properly evaluated.

How many miles on this $500 wonder?

What will you do if you install a new timing belt and it doesn’t run, or you discover a bad transmission, or some other major problem?

Yeah that’s what worries me. I’d have to junk the thing and take a loss on it if the tranny is bad or if it needs all sorts of other things. Think I’ll have to pass, there will be other $500 cars that actually run.

I think you’re making the right decision. You have to ask yourself, “Why didn’t the owners replace the timing belt?”

There is a reason they didn’t fix the car. They know something you don’t.

Too bad, though. You’d have had fun replacing the timing belt.