Anybody here use fix a flat canned stuff in snowblower tires?

I wonder if that also goes for its competitors.

I also wonder if when they say “used,” they mean “used” as in “injected from the can into the tire” or “used” as in driving on wheels that have it in the tire. If they simply don’t recommending dispensing the product in freezing temperatures, that doesn’t mean it can’t be dispensed at warm temperatures and driven on later.

Nonetheless, @Barkydog, the odds of this working, even for a little while, seem to be dwindling. Just buy inner tubes and have a friend help you install them. You might consider buying a cheap set of motorcycle tire tools if the bicycle tools I recommended earlier are insufficient.

Read the disclaimer again.

It states, "If the product is in the tire, and freezing weather is predicted, then immediately take the vehicle to a qualified tire professional for repair.

Sounds to me that if Fix-A-Flat is in the tire, and it drops below freezing, the tire will start leaking air.

Tester

Yeah, I read that, but that’s a recommendation, not a description of what will happen. Frankly, I don’t think the tires will be below freezing temperature while they’re being driven upon. I think they’ll heat up while being used. Personally, I think I’d follow that recommendation to drive straight to a repair shop whether the temperature was below freezing or not.

…but this is all academic since we agree on our recommendations.

Yeah.

Those snowblower tires really heat up while they move at a crawl.

Tester

2 Likes

Way back when I was far dumber about car related things, I used a can of fix-a-flat on my Solara in October before it got cold. It worked fine. I didn’t read the low temp warning on the can, unfortunately. First freezing snowfall came, and I walked out of work and there was a huge bulge pushing my sidewall out (probably pushed out a good half inch. Tires were inflated a few days ago, and no other tires were affected, so I’m pretty sure it had to be that fix-a-flat). I drove it home very slowly and replaced the tire the next day needless to say. My guess is that the fix-a-flat stuff won’t adhere anymore at low temps and falls down to the bottom of the tire based on my experience.

1 Like

If not from friction, from their proximity to the engine and exhaust.

Shirley, you jest.
:slight_smile:

My snowblower engine and exhaust are above the wheels by a good foot and heat rises. Evident by the frozen snow inside the wheel wells you have to knock loose before storing it back in the garage. Heck, there is snow stuck on everything except the very top of the engine, including the little shelf right above the recoil. The tires are definitely at ambient…

OK folks. I’m gonna chalk some of these comments up to people that have never blown snow out of their driveway when its ten below zero and the wind whistling around you. Its cold man, cold! And icicles will be everywhere and the wheels packed with snow. Some things I know about and others I don’t. I don’t know anything about cooking or sewing dresses, but I do know about blowing out driveways.

When my uncle sold his place in northern Indiana and had a garage sale before moving to Florida he said it was a good feeling to watch his snow blower being hauled away.

It might be because at -2degF, the propellant has zero psig vapor pressure plus the latex foaming material gets too thick.

I’m guilty as charged, your honor.

I moved away from Buffalo, NY at the age of 12, moving down south and never looking back, so although I’ve shoveled plenty of snow, and delivered newspapers in subzero temperatures, I’ve never used a snowblower.

Who would have guessed? Me I suppose if I had read the directions, Our mechanic I talked with today said the tire people will often use the slime for slow leaks for bigger tires, They evidently have stuff with antifreeze good to -40, too many choices, but it does sound like fix a flat is out.

Just watched a video about putting tubes in a small wheel, think the wheelbarrow went badly because I did not break the bead off the rim, only done bicycle tires before, live and learn?

Makes one wonder how many cars out there have this stuff in their tires in winter.

Reminds me of some comedian, Would you like your tires balanced? No I like driving down the road feeling like I am driving on a rumble strip.

I am from Western NY near Buffalo and I never bought a snowblower until my boys moved out:) Now I have 2, just in case.

1 Like

Yeah I’ve got a spare too in storage. Belongs to the kid who just hires everything out. I did need it though when Briggs replaced my engine under warranty. It took the guy close to a year to finally get a new engine and get it installed. So broke the record of 7 months for a trans overhaul. At some point I’ll learn.

I have an electric as a spare, but have never had to use it.
Last resort is a “Canadian snow shovel”. It’s like a huge plastic sled with a lawnmower handle. You push it under the snow until it’s loaded, tilt it up to slide the load over the remaining snow to where you’ll dump it, turn it over, and go again. Works fantastic.

At my last house I had a tractor with a plow and an 8HP snowblower. And shovels as a last resort.

Or? What is called a snow scoop?

Tester

Yup, that’s one!.
They’re fantastic. You never have to lift the snow, and they clear it quickly.
And they don’t require gas, oil, grease, a sparkplug, or tire tubes!

The only “snow shovel” I’ve handled in the last 30 years is one of these, a “Florida snow shovel.” We use them to sift through sand at the beach to find shells and shark teeth. :slight_smile:

Funny. It’s getting colder here. Just about everyone carries a shovel in their trunk in the winter. My folks were in Missouri once and it had snowed. My dad pulled out the shovel from the trunk and shoveled the motel sidewalk. No one had a shovel or hardly knew what a snow shovel looked like. I guess like that kid fleeing the NO flood heading north and had never seen a cow before, let alone knew where milk came from.

That looks like a good tool fror collecting clams, too.