ANY reason to keep 22 year old donut spare and rim?

Hmm, our land fill does not allow trash picking.

It can be repurposed for low speed use. Auto salvage yards use them on fabricated carts.

2 Likes

I have thought about making a kayak hauling cart but figure something like repurposed riding mower tires, wheel barrow tires, or just cheap cart tires from Harbor Freight on a mower axle would be better for that.

Some of the nice public boat ramps now are isolated half a mile from the river. I got skunked on one of these once and had to carry a kayak 3/8 of a mile. Basically the state spends all this money putting in a nice concrete boat ramp, parking lot, and bathrooms. Then a flood comes along and the river finds a new channel on the far side of the valley, leaving all this stuff in a bad place for its intended use.

I think this wheel would be a little big, plus I would need to find a pretty close match. Either way, it is interesting to see there might actually be uses for something like this. I have no doubt it would work for something like that.

Well, I would be taking it to a scrap yard along with other junk. If it was just this, I would throw it away but I have a constant supply of junk computers and such from my business. Some of that stuff is pretty valuable for scrap so I take low-value metal in like this at the same time. If it wasn’t for that, I wouldn’t even bother to scrap it.

Technically you are not supposed to pickup anything from the scrap yard but I see no way they could watch everyone. Some of the people you see at scrap yards are pretty questionable and I could totally see this tire ending up on a car if I just left it there intact.

I have the same problem with old brake discs but after a year or so it’s time to get rid of them.

That is how I see it. If something doesn’t have a use after a year, out it goes! This tire/rim has been out of use a lot longer than that.

People, myself included, have a tendency to collect too much crap! I was talking to a buddy who owns some rental properties including mini-storage lockers. He said this business is a literal gold mine although he STILL doesn’t understand it. Basically people bring in junk of little or no value, possibly even negative value, and then pay $100 per month to store it. He obviously knows the economics and background of mini-storage and said that the US is 98% of the market. Apparently paying good money to store junk is only a thing here. Storage lockers are being built in my town faster than the new Dollar General only two blocks from the next Dollar General or next to a Dollar Tree. People who need a storage locker have a hard time finding one available as well so that says there is plenty of demand. One guy had such a hard time finding a locker that he kept paying on it to keep it for several months “just in case” even though it was basically empty. Eventually he realized it needed to go so cleared out the rest and turned in the keys.

He said he has come across a few junk cars that he has to get rid of when people abandon lockers. Usually he can give them away and have someone come take them for parts or scrap. There is a legal process one must go through to dispose of abandoned property which sounds like a pain as well.

Yup. When we were building in 93, we sold our house and had 30 days to vacate, six months before our new house would be ready. So I went shopping for storage. I ended up taking anything available in three different facilities. I think there has been a doubling or tripling of facilities since the. Free advice-label your boxes and keep a record of what building they are in and diagram where the boxes are. Makes it easy digging out spring clothes for Florida.

In about 1985 I bought a toro push mower for about $500. I loved that thing well beyond my need. Finally last year a small engine repair guy agreed to just take it. He was former special ops guy in nam so thought it got a good home. Complete with original manual and accessories. Shed a tear on the way home.

I made a hand cart for my 14 ft rowboat so I could wheel it down paths through the woods where there were no launches. I used the wheels from a run behind baby carriage left by the street for garbage pickup. Lightweight, plenty strong and large wheel diameter for rough terrain. Used bikes and carriages line the streets in spring, most being thrown out…

Heh heh. Cleaning my dads place out, I put a tiller out by the road. Guy stopped to pick it up. I told him it leaks oil like crazy but have at it. He sai no problem, he has a friend that would fix it. I thought former friend who is tired of fixing junk for free.

Yep, pressure washers with wheels, mowers, wagons, you name it. These are all great sources for wheels and axles something like this could be based on.

I bought a weed burner torch that connects to a 20 lb propane tank. I ratchet strap the tank to the old cart/dolly from a pressure washer and just wheel it around. There is no reason you couldn’t remove the engine from an old push mower and use that as well.

Those bulk trash days can be kinda fun to drive around in a truck and take a look. There is plenty of junk but some gems as well. I got a $1400 kayak for free with a hole in the bottom that I patched.

I had a job in a neighborhood within a week after one of those bulk trash days in my town. I passed a place where they had tons of metal junk piled up higher than the house in the yard. The junk pile was larger than the house for sure. Of course this is against code but I am assuming they were just going to haul it all in for scrap value before anyone took action against them.

I have to wonder if the OP is a hoarder.

I know a guy who has hoarded huge quantities of old-style “edison” bulbs because he is one more of those Luddites who are convinced that any new technology is the work of The Devil.

So, several years ago, he filled one of the few closets in his apartment–floor to ceiling–with enough old-style bulbs to last for a few lifetimes. But, because he essentially lives in the dark, those bulbs are almost all just sitting there, without being used. When I suggested that he might want to start selling-off his hoard of Luddite “technology”, he was honest enough to admit that he had been trying to do this–for more than one year–with ZERO success.

It is probably because they make LED Edison looking bulbs now

Additionally, he lives in a community comprised mostly of young, college-educated, well-paid professionals who simply wouldn’t want those old Luddite-technology bulbs.

You have to judge the person based on the events of the time not today. Back then 100 watt bulbs were being outlawed by the feds. And led bulbs were yet to be readily available as replacements. I used only 100 watt bulbs in the garage and shop so used 12 of them. So stocking up a little to avoid having to have only dim bulbs was not so crazy. Of course ten years later and I have all high power led but had to pay $30 each for them. But sure there is no market for the old bulbs.

@bing I have seen two changes in lighting in my lifetime. I began attending a school in 1948 with a building built in 1924. During that year, the incandescent light fixtures were replaced with florescent fixtures.
Fast forward to 2016:. I chaired the building committee at the church I attend. My wife and I were doing our fitness walk in the arena at the university where we had been employed before our retirement. I noticed that the light fixtures looked different. As we continued around the concourse, a crew was busy changing the florescent fixtures to LEDs. I stopped walking to talk to the foreman. He told me that the university received a big rebate to convert to LED lighting. I asked if the same rebate applied to churches. The foreman walked out to his truck in the rain and got me the information. The electric company would pay $6 for each 4 foot florescent tube we removed. I found that the replacement 4 foot LED tube was available for $6.95. I replaced over 200 florescent 4 foot tubes with LED tubes. I rewired the fixtures by removing the ballast coils.
Do the LED replacements save energy?
Yes, it saves my energy. Before we converted to LED lighting, I was in the building once a month replacing florescent tubes and I often had to replace a ballast transformer. In the 6 years we have had the LED tubes, not a single tube has failed. Also, at age 81, I don’t have the energy to climb a ladder and service a light fixture.

… but, even 10 years ago, there wasn’t much of a market for the 40 watt bulbs that he stockpiled. Being a cheapskate, he won’t use bulbs of more than 40 watts, and because he also consistently shoots himself in the foot with his “money-saving” strategies, he has a closet that is unusable, due to the quantity of unsaleable bulbs.

I replaced all our inc bulbs in our can lights because of having to get the ladder and replace burned out bulbs. Had a few leds burn out but nothing in comparison. Used to be about $10 at piece but now just a couple bucks. Also replaced most of the lamps with led ants they burn out and all the outside lights. I’m just an led guy, but mostly I just like going to the hardware store.

My cousin worked for the power company for as long as I can remember. When he retired he consulted on electrical savings for companies. His fee was 50% of the savings. The client took 50 and he took 50. Not sure how they figured the asset expense. Made a deal you couldn’t refuse.

Like Fire Ants, but more efficient?

1 Like

Yes… much less scratching.

Yeah, my iPad decides I don’t. Welcome to the computer world. I’m done fighting with it.