Any idea what to do in a situation like this?

Sorry to hear you are having this difficulty. High new car prices, high used car prices, high cost of repair, leaves car-owners in this position pretty much behind the 8 ball. I think your options are pretty well outlined above, by both you and the other posters here. One other idea, your insurance agent deals with this sort of customer problem all the time, so suggest to ask there. They may cover or partially reimburse car rental or have some other short term alternatives.

I think if I was in that position I’d secure a temporary car (rental or the like) for immediate use, then review what’s available in the used car market. Hopefully I’d find one there. If not, then I’d look at the 3 year old car’s available for sale at the rental car agency’s sales lots. Still nothing? Then I’d buy a new econobox car.

Another alternative, takes a good deal more effort on your part, if wrecked car was declared totaled mainly for appearance reasons, i.e. it would cost too much to return it to pristine appearance, but otherwise could be made safe and drive-able, I’d also consider purchasing it from insurance company and repairing it myself or hiring the job out, repair it to a drivable condition. Then as finances allowed, over time I’d repair it back to it’s pre-crash appearance.

The following won’t help, but may be of interest.