Any cars made in the past 5-6 years meet this criteria?

Although I love my 2013 Hyundai Elantra, it gets stolen constantly due to Hyundais (and Kias) being the easiest to steal and a big trend to target them. (Some insurance companies refuse to insure Hyundais and Kias against theft because of this.) So I need to replace it.

What comparable non-Hyundai, non-Kia cars made in the past 5-6 years meet the following criteria?

Does not connect to the internet. (Including does NOT have subscription features even if I don’t use them.) As this results in spyware (telemetry/telematics).

If it has bluetooth, the mic can have the wires cut/mic can be removed without much problem. Even if the dealer or mechanic has to do it. (It is a security risk, experiments have shown hackers near car can force pair and hear through mic even if bluetooth not used. Since I would never use bluetooth, no point in having this extra risk.)

Does not have touchscreen controls, even for stereo. (Unless altenative physical controls also present.)

Does not have the “slam on the brakes if it thinks something ran out in front of you” feature. Does not have feature where it corrects steering if it thinks you are too close to line. (Do not want problems WHEN these things malfunction.) If these things can be turned off, that is fine.

1 Like

The only possible car that comes to mind is the Mitsubishi Mirage. Because it was designed for Third World customers, it is the most likely model to be devoid of modern, high-tech features. However, it is possible that even that model is too “modern” for your criteria.

2 Likes

Do you wear a tinfoil hat so the spy satellites don’t read ur thoughts?

6 Likes

Nothing wrong with finding telematics unacceptable. No valid need for a car to connect to the internet.

3 Likes

How many times has it been stolen–and returned to you?

Some additional questions come to mind. Since Hyundai/Kia is offering gratis retrofits to upgrade their theft protection by including an engine immobilizer, why haven’t you availed yourself of that free fix?

And, if you felt that this added margin of theft resistance was still insufficient, you could always go to an aftermarket auto electronics shop and have an alarm and/or a tracking device installed. The cost of Hyundai’s “fix” is zero, and even the bill for aftermarket anti-theft devices would be a lot less costly than buying another vehicle which almost surely would have modern features that you don’t want.
:thinking:

2 Likes

Even when the thefts aren’t successful due to any upgrade, they’ll still attempt it BECAUSE IT IS A HYUNDAI. This is a HUGE trendy thing to do because Hyundais are the simplest to steal. So trendy, many insurance companies won’t cover them. So even after any upgrade, it is still constant broken window and broken steering column. (Also if it rains when window is broken, totaled car due to water damage.)

The software patch was publicized months ago but was not available for your car until April 13, 2023. Also, owning a Hyundai you will still be walking around with a “KICK ME” sign on your back. A damaged steering column means that you will be without the car for 2 to 4 weeks.

You pose an interesting question OP. I don’t know of any USA-sold vehicles made within the past 6 years like that. But maybe somebody here knows of some. I expect if there are some, they are pretty rare. You are probably going to have to go back further in time, older cars. My early 90’s Corolla passes your functionality test for non-intrusiveness , but not sure how it compares for theft resistance. Early 90’s electronic fuel injection OBD I technology cars seems to be where you are pointing.

There are 2018 and older vehicles with obsolete telematics receivers, they used 3G network communications which is no longer serviced.

The OP didn’t ask for outdated engine controls.

2 Likes

I agree with finding telemetry, data gathering, and remote communication features completely unacceptable. I am disappointed with all the laughter and ridicule at this perfectly reasonable position. If you asked people 50 years ago if they would tolerate these kind of features, and the intrusive government overreach which has become the norm today, the answer would have been “not on your life”. Once upon a time in America, people vigorously defended their right to privacy, and right to peacefully live their life without unnecessary government intrusion.

At this point, my ideal car would be something like an early 1990’s Sprit/Acclaim, Shadow/Sundance, Caravan/Voyager, Corolla/Prizm, Tercel, Tempo/Topaz, etc. A high-quality basic car designed for thrifty working-class families in need of dependable transportation with no BS. These kind of cars are easy and inexpensive to maintain and repair, and offer excellent fuel economy as well.

5 Likes

It is likely that base model Volkswagens and the previous generation on the Nissan Versa would meet your criteria. Chevy Cruze might also work.

Or you could buy an older vehicle that meats your needs/requirements and drop in a quality new/reman engine and transmission for a warranty and hopefully dependability…

I agree, I don’t want a new vehicle, just not the same driving feel as being all mechanically linked… I still hate my DBW (drive by wire) manual shift daily driver, not as bad with an automatic, but sucks with a DBW stick shift…

But I do agree there are a lot of drivers that need all the help they can get… lol

How about something like a Suzuki Vitara?

There is no need to go back 20 to 30 years to find a car without auto emergency braking or a center LED display.

The 2015 Toyota Corolla can be found without a backup camera/center display, however as backup cameras became standard equipment, the center display might be something necessary to ignore.

2018 Nissan Versa S. I bought it new in 2018 for many of the reasons listed above. Manual transmission, crank up windows, manual door locks, no screens or cameras, regular old fashioned key with no electronics, just a basic car.

4 Likes

Seems like a pretty good choice. Around that same time (2018) I was at a car dealership helping a friend look for a new car. Salesman comes around asking what kind of car we’re looking for? I say “Do you have any new cars for sale that have roll up windows?”. He says “You are old fashioned!”, and walks away … lol … seems he’d prefer for us to move over to the dealership next door, Nissan.

I did learn one thing from this experience: if I want to look and not be bothered by the sales staff , just say “roll up windows” … :wink:

1 Like

The OP is threading the needle here. Backup cameras were mandated after May 2018. Brake assist was mandated in Europe a few years ago and will likely be standard on Euro and Asian models because they sell in Europe. That leaves US models.

I doubt you can buy a GM model and maybe Ford without a cell phone module in the car even 5-6 years old. May not connect directly to the internet but it is useful to download software updates to fix problems without a dealer visit.

I’d suggest going to one of the large used car sellers like CarMax to see the radio controls. Then doing an internet search on KBB.com or Edmunds to see what is included in standard equipment.

If you want a car that fits your desires, you’ll need to do a lot of research on your own.

4 Likes

Yes, every car has windows that “roll up” with the touch of a button.

4 Likes

And, despite what some Luddites might think, most car owners find that their power windows rarely–if ever–need to be repaired. Over the past 37 years, I’ve owned 6 vehicles with power windows, and none of them ever needed to have the window mechanism repaired.

2 Likes

I agree with @VDCdriver, I love my modern features on my 2022 Mazda CX-5. I have been buying cars with power windows, power locks, and all the bells and whistles for almost 30 years. My cars get driven into the ground with 200,000 miles or more and they all die from rust long before any electronic features have failed. I live in the rust belt of NY State so mechanic failures are much more common due to corrosion and intrusion.

I do not long for the days of “simple cars” since they were not as nice to drive and are just as prone to mechanical failure and corrosion as my fancy cars with all the electronics. Plus my current car needs WAY less maintenance. I spend a lot of time in my car so I will concede some privacy and allow some complexity to make my time in the car well spent.

2 Likes