Another reason to drive a manual

Thanks. I stand corrected.

;-]

1 Like

My 1972 Chilton’s parts and labor guide show vacuum wiper motor P/N 3575575, $22.60. The electric wiper motor, P/N 3208246, $35.15. Add in the cost of the switch and wiring and there was money to be saved but at manufacturers’ costs this may be only 2 to 3 dollars.

This seems like an example of a manufacturer falling behind in common (safety) features.

Ah yes, Fort Jackson territory. Sorry for not reading all the replies. My dental receptionist told me about her thwarting an attack in the Walmart lot by pulling her Glock out. And she says she knows how to use it because her dad taught her and you’d be surprised at all the women at the range. Truly these are not only ferrel youth but dumb too.

At any rate I seem to remember our 61 Merc had that bag for the washer fluid. Said FoMoCo on it and you’d buy like a 12oz bottle of fluid. Most cars back then didn’t have anything so you carried a towel or something to clean the windshield. Even today they just smear the bugs so I usually carry paper towels and Windex when traveling to clean the bugs.

I wonder if any of the early cars with electric wipers needed bigger generators, or smaller gen pulley.
A wiper motor draws several amps.
A considerable load, especially on a 6V system at idle.
Not such a big deal with alternators.

@circuitsmith. You may be right. I do remember that Chrysler corp cars back in the 6 volt days had higher output generators than other brands and Chrysler products were the choice of many ham radio operators with mobile equipment. Back in those days, equipment was vacuum tube which drew lots of power. Car radios also had vacuum tubes that drew a.lot of power.
However, after alternators.became standard in the early 1960s and transistors replaced vacuum tubes, there really was no excuse for vacuum wipers.

How did this thread morph into vacuum windshield wipers?

Land Rovers used to have a handle on the inside, an axle through the window, so you could work the wipers by hand: that’s a manual windshield wiper.

The word “manual” comes from the Latin word “manus” which means hand, so the face shield on my motorcycle helmet has the ultimate manual windshield wiper.

You are living in the past!

Just like initial through 1930s Fords. Failure was rare.