An off the wall question. Maybe?

I posted another question on here and stated that I am planning on taking the ac pump off of my 93 blazer because it doesn’t work and I can do without ac. Now having room under my hood and a mounting bracket available, If I have a golf cart, what is the easiest way to hook the electric motor in to the factory system? I am thinking I could use it as a take off assist, allowing the gas engine to cease on deceleration and not to idle at lights, stop signs, etc… and also considering that it might generate current for recharge when the engine gets is running. By doing this, it could also replace the starter and would save some gas in stop and go traffic. One question is, would the force of the electric motor try to turn over the gas engine break the serpentine belt? Another is, would it be possible to incorporate the clutch from the ac unit? Thanks for any thoughts or comments you can provide. God Bless, Ben.

Have you LOOKED at the SIZE of the electric motor in the golf cart?? The IDEA is good, but the application would be impossible… And yes, the belt would be inadequate…Didn’t you say you were on a tight budget?? This project would break the bank…

There’s no way this can work. Well, if Rube Goldberg were still around…

You can’t turn a big old cast-iron V-6 with a golf cart motor, much less through the serpentine belt.

I don’t see how the golf cart motor could come close to mounting where the compressor is now.

Regenerating current with an electric motor is what a hybrid does, but the battery and electrical system in your car is incompatible with that idea.

There were combination starter/generators on a few engines years ago but the belt, pulleys and wiring were a Rube Goldberg monstrosity. You might consider the relative diameters of the flywheel and the bendix gear and realize that much reduction will be needed to crank the engine.

Good insight. I though a little about gear reduction also. Was wondering about, changing out the harmonic balancer the belt and the pulley on the electric motor to see if it could be obtained. Like the previous guy said, it could be a little more expensive than my budget would allow, unless some good used parts fell into my hands. Thanks though.

Keep in mind that car makers spent years and millions of dollars to figure out how to make a workable hybrid drive train, and when it was all done, they turned out cars that were getting similar mileage as cars 10 years ago.

Unless you’re Bill Gates, you can’t afford the development work this will require.

I’d put big money that there is no practical combination of pulley sizes that’ll let this work.

Leaving aside the reason the pump doesn’t work, what is the reason for removing it?

To perform the tasks you have indicated, if I read it right, is best accomplished by placing the gas engine and electric engine in series. This was the strategy of the GM hybrid truck effort and Honda hybrids. It does not lend itself to “tinkering” and is an, engineered from conception effort. At the very least. the linkage should not allow any slippage which could negate any hybrid savings.

Check out the 2012 (perhaps 2011) Buick with “Eassist”. These guys at GM spent a lot of money making this idea work. I do find it hard to believe that a majority of mechanics could tell you how and why the system works (much less repair it) and even fewer owners deciper what the instrument panel is telling them. My feeling is a line has to be drawn when using technology to improve CAFE figures and give a boost in performance.

There are no cost effective modifications that can be done to a 15 year old truck. Proper maintenance and driving technique, including leaving early for work and waiting late to leave to avoid traffic congestion and installing a vacuum gauge and paying close attention to it as previously suggested can make a significant improvement in fuel consumption.

I take it you are a back yard tinkerer. I have an electric golf cart and it runs off 6 8V batteries. I’m not sure if the voltage to the motor is 48V or 24V but I suspect 24V.

Your proposed set up is going to involve several batteries. Then you’ll have to have either a separate alternator delivering the proper voltage to the golf cart batteries, or figure out a way to split the voltage off the single alternator without burning it out.

What I’m saying is this sound feasible, but when you drill down to the details you have a lot of issues to overcome to make it work. Not simple.

Was wondering about, changing out the harmonic balancer the belt
and the pulley on the electric motor to see if it could be obtained.

Your sentence wasn’t quite clear, but please don’t remove your harmonic balancer. That’s a good way to break your crankshaft in half.