An objective opinion please

I’ve seen some car salesmen peg the BS meter (bullometer?) a few times, they must hang out together when on breaks. Makes me wonder if the service advisor gets a cut of the commission if he drives the car owner into the showroom.

I believe the OP and the bunk that they were fed is no worse than many other things I’ve heard over the years; including at some of the places I’ve worked.
Customer brings car in, mechanic checks it out, service advisor tells customer what’s going on, and if friction later develops it’s often discovered that what the customer was told by the service writer was nowhere near what the mechanic told the service writer.

Just a couple of years ago my youngest son who lives in another city was told after getting his transmission serviced at the Ford dealer there that the problem he was now experiencing was due to the new trans fluid. He was told that it takes several hundred miles to “break it in”. :wink:

Just a few months ago during the brutal heat wave he was told by a HVAC guy who came out to his house that he made a mistake by cleaning the outside condenser because “every time you wash one out it causes Freon loss” but after checking the unit out he said “it’s fine and you haven’t lose much Freon. The pressures are fine”. A trip down there the following weekend with my gauges showed the compressor was on the way out and the pressures were nowhere near fine. This guy was the second one called out and as stupid as he was he was light years ahead of the first one.

Well, since everybody’s on the beer kick (no Fat Tire locally, darn it) and the only beer around is 20 miles away or the 26 year old six-pack of Harley beer I’ve stashed back guess I’ll have a chilled glass of Red Rose.
The HD beer probably went toxic decades ago anyway… :slight_smile:

Honda Blackbird–if you like Shock Top, try Long Trail Belgian White next time. FANTASTIC stuff made in Vermont.

I’m a tea-toter by medical necessity, who wishes he could still have an occasional cold beer, but I have my own service BS story.

A year or so after I bought my tC with its sliding glass roof, and while they were still fairly new to the market, my roof developed a wind leak when closed. A whistle on the highway. The service “manager” (?) checked it out and basically told me my only option was to pay some $4000 to have the entire assembly replaced. He said he’s had to do this on a few tC’s. He said (get this!) that the reason it developed the leak was because I “was using it too much”.

After some research, I discovered that the roof was controlled by a “Body Control Module” and could be “reinitialized” via a Scion-specified protocol…opening the roof fully, then closing it and again pressing and holding the button for at least (if memory serves) 90 seconds.

I wonder how many people got screwed out of $4000 by that fraud.

Go in the house and take Bugs Bunny off your refrigerator, hold his backside which has a magnet on it, up to that oil pan and see if it goes CLINK, and sticks. It should stick to steel but I don’t think magnets stick to aluminum. Someone let me know if I am wrong.

You are not wrong.

Mountainbike, that bit you were told by the service manager about using the glass roof too much is not only horrible, it’s downright embarassing to the profession.
That’s probably as good an example as can be found as to why I rip on service managers and service writers so much.

Like you I wonder if others, sadly and feeling cornered, decided to cough up 4 grand needlessly while saying to themselves they will never buy another tC.