An honest mechanic?

That’s nothing…One of our friends we camp with had new heavy duty Bilstein shocks installed on his full size pickup at a local trusted mechanic about a week before we went on a camping trip. He watched them install them. Day before we all went camping he went to the dealer for a free oil change (he had a coupon). When I met him at the campsite he was complaining about the handling. So I got under his truck and his Bilstein shocks were missing. Some used OEM shocks were there. If we were anywhere close to the dealer he probably would have driven back there and killed the mechanic. First thing he did when we got back from camping was drive to the dealer. He got satisfaction from the dealer. But never bought another vehicle from them again, or had any service done there.

4 Likes

Is this where we’re supposed to go back and forth taking digs at one another? I say something that offends you, you say something that offends me, and so on and so on…I won’t go there Mr Volvo bc we could probably go on forever doing that. As far as using the “ur” and the way I used it, next time it’s needed I I’ll make sure I use the proper “your, you’re, if it makes you happy. I do have a a question for ya though, am I allowed to abbreviate any other words? Like “u” for “you”? Or “tho” for “though”? I don’t want people to misunderstand anything I’m saying on CarTalk

@MikeInNH Mike, just to be clear I am not the person who said a mechanic was taking gas from my vehicle. That was Ricky.

It is preferable to completely spell out words. I understand why the abbreviations were made years ago when text messaging was charged per individual message and character numbers made a difference. This is not the case for the vast majority of people now, so why use them?? Heck, pretty much every phone has predictive typing so you can just select the exact word you want instead of using an abbreviated spelling

I always make sure I have at least 3/4 tank of gas in the car when I take it in, so there is gas for running it, test driving if necessary, and so on. It never ever even crossed my mind that someone would siphon off one gallon of gas? If someone needs gas that bad, I’d hope they’d just tell me so I could give them a can and save the bother. I dunno, next step I guess is setting up a camera but that hasn’t helped much for big foot either. Too much over-night radio maybe.

1 Like

Those types of abbreviations are decades old. Teletype operators used them to communicate with each other back in the 50’s and 60’s

No.

Unless you’re cool with me talking to you only in hyperleet, \/\/|-||(|-| \/\/||_|_ |\/|/\|<3 '/()|_||* 3'/35 |3|_33|).

:smiling_imp:

1 Like

About the missing gasoline, A good mechanic can earn 50c+ each minute he works and I can’t imagine even an expert crook being able to siphon and transfer a gallon of gasoline from one car to another in less than 15 minutes. Only a very dumb mechanic would waste his time sucking on a hose for $2.50 worth of gasoline.

3 Likes

I’m deeply offended at that remark. Aren’t I? I guess I’m too sensitive. I tried translator and that didn’t work so I can only assume . . . I’m looking for my Captain Midnight decoder but I think my mom threw it away 50 years ago. Drats.

1 Like

I found my ring @bing. Shadowfax’s coded message was “drink more Ovaltine.”

And I ran across my Fanner 50s while searching.

1 Like

If anyone’s curious, it’s “which will make your eyes bleed.” :wink:

OK, I’m not offended anymore, just nuts.

1 Like