Also another question about servicing my car r/o

I had the following blue service done on my 94 forerunner

http://www…WizardAd_1

It says something about the coolant and transmission but says nothing about draining them just checking them. Am I to believe all they do is look at it and leave it? They don’t do anything to the fluid unless you ask for it to be drained and changed?

If the repair order states that they checked something, then that indicates that it was only checked, and was not changed. As a verification of this, take a look at the section of the repair order where fluids and parts are listed. If you don’t see an entry for X number of quarts of transmission fluid or X number of gallons of antifreeze, then you can be sure that nothing was replaced.

As I advised in my other response, you need to familiarize yourself with the factory maintenance schedule that is sitting in your glove compartment. Make a list of what procedures you need prior to each service and bring that specific list to the service facility that you are using, and state that these are the procedures that you want to have performed.

In order to avoid duplicating vital services (or skipping them), it is also a good idea to make a small chart that you can consult at a glance in order to see what was done, and when.

They are supposed to just look at it (check the levels) but leave it alone. Nothing more. A few premium shops may top up if necessary. The final report would indicate this service if it were performed. If there were any indication that additonal service were needed, the customer should be notified and asked to authorize the service (and its additonal costs).

Were you expecting anything more? Let me say that if a shop went ahead and did a complete flush on any of my car’s system without my authorization I would be furious. Just what is your gripe?

Your owner’s manual should contain a schedule of what should be done at various mileage or time intervals.

At some points, it will specify replacing a fluid (e.g. oil, antifreeze, brake fluid). Then, you should see a charge for the material on the bill.

In between, it is common to specify checking the level. The purpose is to make sure you don’t run out before it is due for replacement. Unless the level is low, nothing more should be done. If it is down, and the drop is not due to a developing problem, the shop should top it off and charge you for the material. If there is a problem, they should notify you and recommend appropriate repairs.