All used vehicles as is?

By FTC regulation any used car sold should have something like this in the window with the blanks filled in by the dealer. That’s the final word.

1 Like

No . . . you do not bring a Hyundai to the Nissan dealer for an oil change

You shouldn’t be returning to that Nissan dealer, anyways. They sold you a used Hyundai. It’s obvious it was a simple transaction and they don’t want to see you again, unless you’re buying another car

Yup

No, you don’t need to take the car to a Hyundai dealer for a transmission service

This is all assuming your “regular mechanic” is competent and actually set up to work on the car. If this guy is working out of his back yard, then maybe you’d be better off finding a good independent shop or actually going to the dealer

I’ll repeat this again . . . don’t go back to the Nissan dealer for any repairs or maintenance, in regards to this 2016 Hyundai

1 Like

Yes, I’ve seen one of those in the window of every used vehicle I’ve ever looked at for the last umpteen years. That’s how I knew the Hyundai was marked “as-is.”

Let me attempt to clarify things since I apparently haven’t so far:

1. I’ll be bringing the Hyundai to the Nissan dealer for oil changes because I already paid for them. The price included a non-negotiable line item for “The Napleton Experience,” which includes a year of oil changes and tire rotations, and I intend to take advantage of them. If the Nissan dealer’s shop can’t handle an oil change on a competing make, I’m in worse trouble than I thought. If they’re incompetent to perform routine maintenance on a competing make’s transmission I guess that’s different? Anyway, I’ll have the transmission service done somewhere else.

2. Our “regular mechanic” has been in business as the owner of his own independent shop–not his back yard–for 30 years or more and he’s been our mechanic for most of that time. Yes, he’ll be doing all out non-warranty work; any warranty related repair will go to a Hyundai dealer. Frankly, I doubt there’s much he can’t handle but it never hurts to make sure. I’ve always had my Corolla’s transmission serviced by the dealer.

Was this initially your idea . . . or was this something that the salesman “slipped in” and you signed off on it, only to discover it later?

Regardless . . . you bought for it, might as well get the oil changes done at the Nissan dealer for that year

That said . . . ONLY get the oil changes and tire rotations

Don’t let them upsell you on anything else, when you bring the car in for those services

A good plan . . . no further comment needed

Agreed

Sounds like the regular mechanic should be well-equipped to do the Hyundai transmission service. In any case, you’ll probably be charged slightly less money. Just make sure he either uses genuine Hyundai fluid, or fluid that is compatible with the Hyundai fluid

Did you miss the part where this was a “non-negotiable line item”? It was part of the sale and when I questioned it the sales guy said we had to take it. Period. We waited until the bottom line price came out and it was reasonable enough that we didn’t walk so we might as well take advantage of the oil changes and rotations we already paid for.

@davepsinbox_157004 I remember back in the late 1950s when I first started driving through the 1960s that new car dealers of U.S. brands would work on almost any domestic make. A new car dealership has four different departments: 1) new car sales; 2) used car sales; 3) service; 4) parts. Sometimes there is a fifth department-- body shop. Each department has a manager and each department must show a profit. If a make other than what the dealer sells comes into the service department, the service department may accept the work if it is something that isn’t too specialized. The service manager wants to keep his technicians busy and needs to show a profit for the dealership.

I’m trying to help you, by offering advice . . .

Yes, and I really do appreciate your help. But asking questions that have already been answered kinda futzes the definition of “help.” Sorry but I’m funny that way.

My criteria for buying a used car is this: 1) if I am buying a late model used car, I want one with some factory warranty left.
2)if I am buying a “transportation special”, I know I am buying “as is”. I get the best price I can get and assume the risk. I check out an ‘as is’ car to the best of my ability. My concern is not “does this car burn oil” but rather “how much oil does it burn”. I am not concerned about whether or not the car was in an accident–my concern is how bad was the accident.
The OP’s Dodge fits my definition of a “transportation special”. I think with good maintenance and conservative driving, he may get quite a few more miles from the car.

I think you posted to the wrong thread . This OP bought a Hyundai Tucson .

@VOLVO_V70. You are right. I posted to the wrong thread. My error.

Trust me, I’ve bought “as-is” vehicles in the past. I generally knew what I was getting. When I bought a used 1977 Corolla back in fall of 1982 “as-is” for $1100 under Book, I had no illusions about it being perfect. The front tires didn’t match, there was rust in various places, it needed a clutch and a lot of TLC, but it ran. And it kept running for as long as I had it.

This vehicle, however, is for my wife, who will be driving it at night and in bad weather, and has bad knees, which precludes walking long distances, and is not mechanically inclined. I want a nice, safe, reliable vehicle and I’d like to think we found one.

Which makes me wonder why you did not buy new with full warranty and free roadside service for a few years .

Because had a budget in mind. Plus, we didn’t want to get hit with the depreciation that comes the moment you leave the lot.

1 Like

@davepsinbox_157004. I think you chose well. You have the rest of the factory warranty. Stack up some miles on the Hyundai to shake out any bugs while it is under factory warranty.

I dunno, l leased a 2019 Hyundai Elantra limited for my wife in July for less than $300 a month for 36 fully warranted months. I don’t care how much it depreciates over that period, because it’s not my problem.

That’s $10,800 plus increased registration fees and insurance cost. I have never owned a vehicle with a warranty, that $10,000 expense might be the reason.

2 Likes

I follow a strict monthly expense budget, and I need to know in November 2019 what I’ll be spending each month of 2020 for transportation related expenses.

Thanks. We’re looking forward to many happy miles and we’ll be sure to uncover any bugs while the warranty is in force.