All-purpose vehicle

I’ve always thought the Acura MDX is pretty much the perfect all-around vehicle. It handles much better than you’d expect for an SUV. Coming from a BMW, the price shouldn’t bother you. Make sure you test-drive one before you decide.

Good for you jt; I’m not as handy as you are with computers, and don’t network much. Glad you’re able to use the good features of Vista. Right now I’m still happy with XP, but will have Windows 7 on my next set of computers.

Agree; my neighbor is not very car savvy, and his wife had a serious winter accident in her Honda Civic (not the car’s fault). She now has an Acura MDX, while he still enjoys his CRV. The Acura is a very forgiving vehicle under all sorts of driving conditions.

Doc, one of the reasons I like it is that I’m not as handy with computers as I’d like to be. I’m sure that Windows 7 will have the same excellent features and a few more. If you keep the PC you have now, you can easily share files after you put them on the same feed.

Note: be aware that you have two contradicting criterion: performance and good in snow. Many models that come with good acceleration and handling do so by using wider tires and good low-end torque. That compromises performance in snow.

This is a good point…but only if you stipulate the ultimate in each. With modern electronic devices, the Subaru 6 cyl Outback and the V6 Rav4 are examples of cars that can’t handle with a 240Z or traverse snow with a 4Runner, but; They are very capable in both respects as are some others. I would argue they each handle better than most fwd cars if not all and are better in snow that all fwd cars. So you’re better than 90% of the non awd/4wd public in both handling and snow traction. And,you get very reasonable for performance economy, and reliability second to non with the RAV4 and in the top tier with the Outback. Both come with very good acceleration, handling and snow traction…relatively speaking of course.

Excellent points Dag. I should have also recognized that there are many vehicles today that come with great performance and AWD options.

I’s still like a 370Z. Even though it’s notoriously bad in snow. But I still think the OP’s best first step is to pick up a Consumer Reports. He’s got a whole lot of criteria on his list.

Ooops. Disregard my 240Z reference “same”. I have a reading comp. problem brought on by old age. I do see your point though with respect to real performance cars. There’s a bunch out there we all drool over, including yours, until the snow flies and realism sets in and we realize they; One, couldn’t even make it through the plow “droppings” and two couldn’t corner were a darn compared to even a pick up truck in snow.

No problem. The 240Z, the one that started the Nissan “Z” line, was a great car too, and it too was notoriously bad in snow.

I guess I’ll just have to keep drooling.

Spoken like a Mac wannabe…Vista is just chasing Macs; incompatibility between the two is the issue not the obvious superiority of the Mac OS. I transitioned over years ago and all that I have know including several engineers will never go back…life is too short to wait for a comp. to wake up and work right.

Spoken like a Mac snob! I use Windows at home because it is much more affordable and does what my family and I need it to. I use Windows at work because several programs I use are available for Windows but not Mac. Macs are fine systems, if you can afford them. If I were rich, I’d probably own some.

If you like Hondas, have you looked at the Honda Element? It has all the tech goodies you want in a car, a rugged floor (no floor carpeting, but it has a plastic floor) , has water-resistant cloth seats that fold in all sorts of convenient ways (to haul all your stuff), gets good mileage, it has a max towing capacity of 1,500 lbs, and has a real time 4WD system for when the weather gets rough. It has a good suspension (rides like a car, not a truck) so it has nice road manners. Check it out, it might be worth a look.