Airbags replaced on my 2006 Honda Accord. Now I failed the state inspection

@asemaster. Yes sir, HUNDREDS OF MILES. I’ve driven through parts of CO, WY, MT, eastern WA, CA, AZ and TX where I haven’t seen another car for 100, 150, and even 200 miles. And that was during the height of the summer tourist season.

One of the problems with things like mandatory safety inspections, the elected folks who make the laws, they can come up with the idea that if some amount of safety inspection testing is good, more is better. It soon becomes a seemingly endless quagmire.

Here in Calif, I could support a safety inspection program that would look for worn out tires and make sure all the important lights worked. But the problem is, it wouldn’t end there. Pretty soon they’d be testing that the license plate light put out enough lumens.

Smog inspections are different, to me at least. I think there’s quite a bit of objective evidence they improve air quality in places that have smog problems, so I’m in favor of those. But even those can get out of hand too. Like here in Calif, besides just making sure all the equipment was in place, in the 1980’s they had a tailpipe test, and it had to pass HC, CO, and nitrogen compounds at idle and at maybe at another higher than idle rpm, but with the engine in neutral. Later the elected folks decided, no, this letting the car sit on the floor test isn’t enough, so now they insist many if not all the cars be tailpipe tested not rested on the ground, but on a moving treadmill.

I’ve never seen an explanation for this, how it benefits the air quality. Maybe there is one. Maybe it is possible for the less than scrupulous car owners to circumvent the idle tests, but not to easy to do that with the engine under load tests.

@asemaster - I’m supposed to change the oil?

Only when your state-mandated safety inspection tells you to! *chuckle

@irlandes

“They knew what they had and they drove accordingly.”

That’s because those farmers had some common sense

I’ve seen plenty of people that either don’t know what a POS car they have, and didn’t drive accordingly

Or . . . they did know what a POS car they have, but just didn’t care, and did not drive accordingly

I can’t quite agree with you that people that know their car is junk, will drive slower and safer, to compensate for their car’s wretched condition

Maybe some . . . those farmers, for example . . . but not the vast majority. Not in my opinion

If I’ve misread or misunderstood what you may or may not have been getting at, I’m sorry

The OP can’t have a state inspection in Washington DC, it is not a state.

“Maybe some . . . those farmers, for example . . . but not the vast majority. Not in my opinion”

I am only reporting what I personally observed. Feel free to disagree.