Air filter for 24.50?

I’d bet the fram meets spec.

My Toyota Dealer charges $30 for either the cabin or air filter and $30 labor to install it on my 2012 Camry even during the 24 month Toyotacare period when they are being paid by Toyota to remove,clean and reinstall the cabin filter.
The day before my last free oil change I replaced my cabin filter ( less than $10 ) and inspected my air filter. I told this to the service writer and still the tech marked them both as dirty on my recipt.
After the email I sent them I didn’t get the usual customer satisfaction survey with follow up phone call.

@ok4450‌

The shop I use most just does labor in half-hour increments. But they will do really small things, like pop on a brake pedal cover (assuming you bring the part) for free.

My brother use to get free oil change coupons from a local place where he lives,after a couple of years of getting the free oil changes and NEVER buying anything else they told him never to come back. LOL

@tardrex, that’s messed up. I’d find a friend to take my car there for me with another coupon. If they don’t want people to use the coupons, they shouldn’t print them.

How long it takes depends on the car. The engine air filter on my daughter’s Cobalt is a 5 minute job. But on my Accord, it is more like 15 or 20 minutes. There is less space to remove the top of the air box on the Accord and I have to do more disassembly. I just unscrew 4 captive bolts on the Cobalt. I’m sure a mechanic is faster than me, but 5 minutes is too short on some cars.

I hate, HATE changing air filters on plastic housings that have screws. I’m always afraid I’ll either strip the screw or leave it too loose. In fact, I’ve managed to cross thread one of the screws on my old motorcycle and strip one of the screws on my ex-girlfriend’s Civic. On the motorcycle, it was after owning the bike for 9 years, and I confessed to my ex as soon as I heard the plastic housing break under the stress of the twisting screw. When I sold the bike, I told the guy I sold it to about the cross-threaded screw, and I recommended he replace the stock plastic housing with an aftermarket chrome version.

Thankfully, my Civic and my mother’s Sienna have clips on the air filter housings.

The air filter on my Lincoln is about a 10-15 minute job if everything goes smoothly. Hood seal removed, wrestling the intake tract bolt (buried under the cowl) out of the throttle body, various hoses and wires, and then removal of 4 bolts; two of them buried down low.

There’s always pins and needles involved as the throttle body gasket on the intake tract is rubber and prone to decay. No one on the planet (Ford or aftermarket) manufactures a replacement TB seal. :frowning:

The air filter on my wifes lexus is a pain. Have to remove the engine cover and about 15 of these plastic hold-down clips. Once the cover is removed…then it takes about a minute.

My 4runner…takes less then 30 seconds. Very easy to replace. I haven’t replaced the air filter on my new highlander…but it looks easy too. I can at least see it.

Going a little off topic here, but one of my regulars has a late model Infiniti. Replacing the 2 engine are filters is a piece of cake, but changing the oil is a pain, requiring removing 14 or so screws to remove the under-engine shield.

I guess they never planned on an Infiniti owner laying on the ground in the driveway changing their own oil.

but changing the oil is a pain, requiring removing 14 or so screws to remove the under-engine shield.

Had the same thing on my 98 Pathfinder. I got tired of it over the years…and cut an opening in the splash shield for access to the filter. I reattached the piece I cut out with a hing and a hook at the other end. I then just removed the hook…and the piece swung down and I was able to reach up and remove the filter. Saved me a ton of time over the years and 80+ oil changes.