Air filter change

Agree , if it is a jiffy lube or a valvoline type place they will bring a dirty filter that doesnt even fit your car and show you that because most customers have no idea what their air filter looks like .

1 Like

I certainly hope that is not the norm,

Maybe not the norm, but common.

I had the stiff air duct problem on my 2005 Accord. I solved that when I bought a new air duct.

If your car spent much time near any of the big fires in the western USA this past year, you might want to inspect your engine and cabin air filter.

In those regions, it was common for the cars’ exteriors to be covered in ash, which can block filters sooner.

1 Like

Don’t forget that modern cars (yes, 2006 qualifies) have computer controlled mixture, so a dirty air filter doesn’t make it run rich like in old carbureted cars. A dirty filter only reduces max power a tiny bit, and does no harm. I’ve decided to change mine every two years.

2 Likes

A dirty air filter on a modern car can actually improve fuel mileage because it cuts down on available power.

I take my car to a Valvoline oil change place for my NY State inspection because there is never anything wrong with my car and I don’t want my mechanic to lose any money doing the state inspection. They don’ do any real repairs so they don;t try to find non existent bad ball joints etc, but I never buy anything else there.

They started carrying Interstate Batteries there 6 year ago and tried to sell me a battery for my 2912 Camry for three years straight. Now I am in the “Lets see how long it will last mode”, just for fun

Yo years ago they brought me my cabin filter and said it was so dirty it was gray. I said yes, it is a charcoal impregnated one, put it back in.

I’m going to hold off getting my air filter changed for at least a year now.

Could you post a picture of that 2912 Camry . :wink:

2 Likes

Back in the day I got an oil change in a late 90’s Integra. Goober brings over the usual square air filter full of gunk and black from overuse. Too bad for him the Integra used a cylindrical air filter…

1 Like

Is it a flying car? Must be futuristic since it’s model year 2912.

They’ve had flying cars for 5 years now. Back to the Future II told me so!

Yeah. Neat, but… Eh.

I’ve been following them since they first announced. They’re facing the same problem as every other flying car company. The characteristics that make a good airplane make a crappy car, and vice versa.

I mean, just as an example, what’s the first thing you do to keep a car’s tires planted at higher speeds? You add downforce. Downforce is bad in an airplane for obvious reasons.

Now, you can get around that the way airplanes do by installing actuated lift dumps (planes use them on landing to add downforce to counteract the lift of the wings). But the trouble with that is that lift dumps only work on wings that are horizontal. When you fold them vertical like the TF does, they don’t counteract lift anymore, so you’ll have to add them to the roof, and there’s not all that much room on the roof of that thing. And lift dumps create drag, which is not a bad thing when you’re landing a plane because the whole point of landing is to slow down a lot, but it’s not so great for a car.

Their current prototype looks like it works as well as any other flying car concept, by which I mean a plane that will probably be outperformed by an old Cessna 150, and a car that will be outperformed by a Ford Pinto (which entertainingly enough actually was once made into a flying car!)

TF’s concept 2nd attempt looks more interesting, but it also looks suspiciously like just about every other flying car concept in that it will probably require the installation of a physics nullifier to work as advertised. :wink:

And for those that want to go to Disney World, you can buy a ride for $150 in one of the Amphicars from Minnesota. Not a good boat and not a good car either.

Guess I need a proofreader, there should be a lot of them available. Newspapers don’ seem to use them any,ore.

1 Like

Don’t worry there will always be someone to correct you. Newspapers use robots now. That’s why they get their there’s and they’re mixed up and the to, two, and toos.

Not only that!
A certain prominent person recently alleged that there were “voting irregularities at the Poles”.
It’s probably not a good idea to alienate Polish-American voters.
:wink:

Harvard is not what it used to be.

… nor is Wharton.
:laughing:

1 Like