Air Conditioning Service

Just for the record, when I got a new A/C compressor installed and a couple Schrader valves replaced in my 98 Civic’s A/C system a couple years ago, they also cleaned out the dryer for free. They said it was pretty nasty in there. I don’t know for sure whether or not they were BSing me, but I think they were being honest.

Still, jnweinstein, I would not pay to get it done unless your system is getting a major repair already. I wouldn’t worry about it unless you have a problem.

Wow. Thanks for all the replies–I didn’t realize that this topic is so controversial.

The air works but it takes longer to cool the van than it used to. The van is about 5 and 1/2 years old with about 55k on it. I am planning on taking it somewhere and asking them to just add a some refrigerant to see if that improves performance. I don’t think there is a very significant leak since the performance has degraded gradually over a period of years.

Wow–thanks for all the responses. I didn’t realize this was a controversial topic.

The reason I asked the question is the AC in our 2004 Sienna is not performing as well as it used to. It still works, but it takes longer for the van to cool.

My plan is to take it somewhere to have some refrigerant added to see if it solves the problem. Hopefully it just has an extremely slow leak since the AC performance has gradually degraded over a period of several years.