Aging cars on road

That’s exactly what my father did with his full sized Olds; he it just months short of 25 years.

I liken the CBX to a DeLorean (and will probably go to hell for this…), in that it’s a curiosity, very fun when it’s all working, but God help you if you have to start chasing down problems and sourcing parts. I happen to know of someone making a V12 from two inline 6s.

For the record, I ride an '82 CB900F Supersport.

http://homepage.mac.com/joshkeady/cb900-1/cb9001sm.jpg

Getting back to the topic at hand, my '90 Thunderbird racked up well over 2,000 trouble free miles in the last month, AC blasting, stereo blasting, just sit back and set the cruise for 75. Lots of imports on the road, but lots of domestics like mine.

DRIVE WHAT YOU LIKE!

Agree; most kids think Twinkies and Kraft Dinner are some of your basic food groups.

Depends where you are in New England. I agree in Southern NH/Eastern MA somewhat. However northern NH, most of VT except around Burlington, nearly all ME except cost you see many many domestics and likely more that are 10years+.

I will say there are many many Subaru’s 10+ old in New England. The reliability is okay but I think owners mostly love them.

Hmmm…next time you pull up to my 30 yr old Roadrunner at a light,I’ll explain/show you.

If you’re talking greater then 10 years…10 years ago the domestics were outselling Toyota, Nissan and Honda. It’s only very recently that Toyota took over the #1 position. There are still more domestics sold in the US then the Big Japanese companies.

I also get up to Northern NH several times a year…I do not observe the same as you do. 10+ year old vehicles I see most of are F150 pickups…Cars…I still see far more Camry’s and Accords then any GM, Ford or Chryco.

Certain American cars, usually Body & Frame construction, rear drive, can be kept running forever by shade-tree mechanics. Parts are easy to find for these high-production cars, they are reliable and repairable. I own several cars and trucks but my '92 Crown Vic is a favorite. Comfortable, bullet-proof, 26mpg, V8 power, repairable, paid for, cheap insurance…What more do you want?

When the rice-boxes automatic trannies fail, that’s it, they are done…Rebuild a Honda engine or transmission?? Not going to happen. They are disposable consumer products.

The real question. Do the tourists drive around in all the those non-domestics or the tourists :slight_smile:

The foreign cars, well Japanese anyway are so cheap to operate, they rack up 3-400 k miles in the first ten years and are just worn out. Meanwhile, the domestic car only racks up 80-100k in the first ten years so it has plenty of life left in it.

“Rebuild a Honda engine or transmission?? Not going to happen.”

You mean that I have done the impossible? I have rebuilt a civic 5 speed transmission and a couple of Honda engines, no wait, make that three Honda engines already. Parts were not unreasonable and were available.

PS If you can’t take apart a Honda engine without turning it into a basket case, you aint got no business going anywhere near a Chevy/Ford/Harley Davidson with a wrench either.

Some young ones don’t know that you can do so much with “stuff”. I hope he does better with the “cars” made today.

Well, the mix on the roads around here, as anywhere, does depend somewhat on the zip code and its median income. We have a preponderence of Midwestern redneck trucks, struggling middle class owners of small to medium sized foreign makes, a large representation of geezerville aging big domestics, cell phone yakking yuppies herding tank sized SUVs, and lots of recreational cyclists, both motorized and pedal powered, all sharing the roads in raucous disharmony. Long live rush hour as a contact sport!!!

This theme will be repeated over and over. Just recently a friend of mine had to scrap a good 1986 626 Mazda because the transmission was toast. The body and engine were in great shape, but even an independent transmission shop wanted at least $2500 to overhaul it IF they could get the parts. By contrast, my 1984 Impala at 300,000 miles could have its transmission overhauled (not necessary) for only $800 max. A rebuilt engine for this car installed could be had for just over $2000.

My second new car was a 94 Tempo. I gave it to my son who sold it with 180k on it. It is still on the road. I see lot’s of these cars in the KS/MO area. They were built in KC (Claycomo) so many were sold in this area. The Contour is also seen in abundance in this area. Your Ford list is a little slanted as only the Pinto is an older 70’s model. Change that to include the Ford Fairmont and you might have a better sample.

My 89 Mercury is still on the road and it really doesn’t qualify as a domestic as it’s really a Mazda 323 in disguise. It’s 18 years old with 377,000 miles on it now. I also see lots of old Toyota Corollas Honda Civics and Ford Fiestas all over. These cars were sold off or parked in the back while we enjoyed lower gas prices and drove our SUV’s instead. Now with gas at $3.50-4.00 a gallon these cars are suddenly very popular. The biggest problem with the foreign cars is the parts are getting hard to find.

Really doesn’t matter. The population of NH north of Laconia accounts for less then 5% of NH’s population…insignificant.

You’re probaly talking about the Mercury Tracer, a Mazda 323 clone, built in Hermosillo, Mexico, Ford’s best plant worldwide for quality and productivity.

Oops, forgot to include the Tracer part. I sure wish I could find another car like this one.

insignificant

Except on Election Night. Dixville Notch, where are you?

I had some friends who moved here to Spokane WA from Pittsburg PA. They were amazed at how many older cars (20+ yrs) that were still on the road, domestic or otherwise. They figured out that it was because we don’t use salt to de-ice the roads during winter. Now if we could just figure out how to de-ice drivers’ brains during the winter commute we would truly have classics in cars and safety