Aftermarket headlight assy's

I’ve actually never owned a Ford. A Lincoln once but that was it. My dad had a Pinto wagon and it was a pretty good car. We did have a Merc and a couple Falcons back in the 60’s and they seemed fine for what they were. I only owned one Chev, a Corvair and really didn’t have a problem with that either. Mostly I’ve had Pontiac, Buicks, and Olds, and Acuras now, and tend to have good luck with all of them. The worst cars in my memory were the Chryslers in the 70’s. Like Christine. Too bad too, the ones in the 60’s were pretty good.

Yes, and no.
My first car was a beautiful '71 Charger, and one of the big mistakes of my life was trading that trouble-free car in on a '74 Volvo, in the interest of better gas mileage. Yes, the gas mileage was slightly better, but I went from a trouble-free car to one that had more problems than any 4 cars combined normally would.

By contrast, my brother’s first wife bought a '72 Barracuda whose paint looked like it had been applied with a broom, featured badly mis-aligned interior parts and body panels, and which essentially fell apart w/in ~4 years.

I think that Chrysler’s quality control at that point was…really bad…and depending on the assembly plant from which your car came, you could have wound up with something decent or with a rolling disaster area.

there are probably 10s of thousands of Kennedy’s in this country. Which one are you referring to?

I am referring to this Mr. Kennedy, who was adamant–a few weeks ago–that he once owned a 4-door Pinto wagon.

1 Like

Ford has made a lot of different cars over the years. A blanket comment such as posted above isn’t likely to accurately apply to all or even most of them.

Thanks for the advice about headlight assy’s. Any more would be welcome.

I did try polishing it a year or two ago. AIR, with Maguaiar’s, as recommended by many on this site. Too much work for too little benefit. Perhaps you recall that recently on this site we had one of the regulars who worked and worked until he got the lenses polished. I nominate him for the Captain Ahab Award :relaxed:

The cloudiness is worse now than then. I’ll try to post a photo tomorrow.

First of all, take the car to a body shop. Have them sand, then clear coat your lenses. For $50, or less, per headlight they look brand new and it lasts better than any polishing kit. This only works if the inside of the headlight is still in good condition.

Second of all, glass headlights will not come back for two reasons. One is weight, which impacts fuel economy, and two is safety. Plastic lenses are much safer when they come into unfortunate contact with pedestrians and pets.

I think I will take it by a body shop to see what they can do. Just for interest, here are photographs.

A body shop can clean (clear?) these up in no time. But they may try to sell you on replacing the lighting units instead.
You can clean it up too. Follow some of the advice given here to buff them out. Don’t be afraid, you’ve nothing to lose.

Interesting. My 25 year old Corolla sports a fully glass headlight enclosure, and it appears as clear 25 years later as when it was new. I don’t see much pitting on the surface of the glass at all. Of course I don’t drive in super-dusty areas either, so maybe that is part of the reason. Glass surface pitting problems can happen quickly. Years ago I drove my truck across the Arizona desert when I was on the way to the Grand Canyon, and a huge dust storm came up along the route, and it pitted my windshield in just 2 or 3 hours of driving. After that the visibility was so bad during night driving I had to have the windshield replaced. I didn’t have to replace the sealed-glass headlight units tho.

Yep, you don’t have salt and sand trucks in your neck of the woods or maybe don’t have 500,000 miles on the odometer like I had.

They don’t look too bad. They should clean up well.