Aftermarket front collision warning - 2015 Toyota RAV4 EV

Installing aftermarket front collision warning device

Not a question but but my advice is NO, DON"T do that!

1 Like

Great.

When you get it all done, invite us all over to see.
Ribs, and BBQ chicken, and a lot of beer will be fine.

Yosemite

1 Like

Hope you have plenty of insurance.

Mustangman and PvtPublic:

I’m not the OP, but I am curious for the thinking behind your replies.
What is it about a non-Toyota brand collision warning part that raises a concern?

Thanks.

If it’s just a warning, and it’s correctly wired, I don’t see any harm. If it somehow connects to the brake system, then it’s a bad idea.

Just put the phone away and pay attention and you don’t need a warning thing. Besides, I suspect an after market warning device might actually give warning when none is needed.

Most “aftermarket” devices are junk…right out of the box. I have a cousin who spent several hundred dollars on aftermarket devices for her new Camaro and then spent several hundred more dollars getting them removed. The remote starter removal was the most expensive because the installer cut several critical wires and it ruined her starter. I hate aftermarket anything.

1 Like

I googled front collision warning, saw 1 dashcam that has collision warning, lane departure, gps, backup camera all in a standalone unit for $100 or so. I think I want something like that!

Why would you need one? Is your vision bad? Do you have attention deficit problems?

Why not just let someone else do the driving who is willing and able to concentrate exclusively on driving?

1 Like

Joe, If you read a few of the comments from @missileman, or @texases and @Whitey they explain many of my issues. I agree with those comments. The aftermarket can make a forward warning system independent of the car’s systems, but, really, what’s it going to do? It will go “beep” when it sees a “threat”, the driver is going to spend 0.7 to 1.5 seconds recognizing the warning, deciding WHAT to do and another 0.7 to 1.5 seconds doing it. If the driver actually pays attention, 0.7 to 1.5 seconds are eliminated.

I think it provides a false sense of security for the driver who should be paying attention. If you want one of these systems, buy a car that already has them that the manufacturer has developed and thoroughly tested.

If, indeed, this system applies the brakes like the manufacturer’s systems, my comments go from NO to H%11 NO!! There are far too many integrated systems that can be corrupted by allowing an unknown, un-vetted 3rd party to control something on your communication buss. Its one thing to read the data from the OBD2 buss, it is quite another to allow control.

Modern ECU’s are now being linked to the car’s VIN number to avoid exactly this scenario. No paired VIN from the message sender, no communication allowed Anti-hacking defense.

Auto manufacturers have a huge budget for things like this, and they have not been successful in designing a collision warning system. Why do you think this aftermarket device will work satisfactorily?

Thanks Mustangman. Your reply does make sense.

Reading it made me realize I was thinking about replacing a Toyota installed part with an aftermarket unit. I hadn’t even considered separate add-on units from the aftermarket.

For example, when I look at RockAuto, I see aftermarket replacement parts for the Toyota factory Cruise Control Distance sensors, Lane Departure camera/modules, and Blind Spot Detection sensors.

Does the same concern exist there for using (non-junk) aftermarket parts?