Aftermarket computer chip?

@VDCdriver, go ahead and post it for the benefit of those who have never read it.

That has to be my all-time favorite… :slight_smile:

I either missed it or have forgotten… please please please??? Repost it???

Agree. I’d love to see it.

Aftermarket computer chips are only required if you’ve modified your engine for competition (IE stronger internals, lumpier camshaft, bigger injectors, etc.) , not caring about fuel economy or emissions. And then, most builders of these cars, like my son, build their own because they can reprogram it to suit their needs, and don’t bother with an “off the shelf” unit.

Okay, @ok4450, here goes:

My brother and sister-in-law were visiting car showrooms after doing some initial research online. At a Mazda showroom, they were looking at a 626 model, and they encountered a car salesman who seemed to be particularly annoying and dim-witted. In order to assess just whom they were dealing with, my brother pointed to the button on the dashboard marked “Traction Control”, and asked the salesman, “What does that do?”.

Bear in mind that my brother knew full-well just how Traction Control works, so he had to stifle the urge to laugh when the salesman said, “Oh, when you push that button, it makes the car heavier!”. My sister-in-law didn’t actually understand the dynamics behind Traction Control, but she knew enough to know that what the salesman said was impossible, and she began to giggle.

Anyway, my brother turned to the salesman and said, You know, I’m really impressed that the Mazda engineers have figured out how to repeal the laws of physics with the mere push of a button–and they exited that showroom in search of intelligent life.

VDCdriver; that was well worth it.

Too bad your brother didn’t then reach over, turn it to off and leap back a couple of feet.
Then tell the salesman…“you thought it might float”.

Thanks for posting it again.

Yosemite

maybe your brother didn t notice the invisible helium filled balloon that was floating above the car…

I stear far clear of any car or truck with aftermarket performance parts under the hood.

I figure it’s already been beat by the person that put all this crap under the hood. They put all that stuff in to make the car faster and quicker off the line. So you know they drove it that way.

Why would I want to buy something that could fall apart at any time. Then there’s the problem of finding parts to repair the aftermarket stuff. And how do tyou know they installed this satuff right in the first place.

Kind of reminds me of a 4X4 Ranger I saw fro sale. Looked pretty nice from the drivers side and front, but I walked around to the rear and there was this huge home made bumper with a clevice hitch on it. I could see this thing hauling a BobCat and trailer down the road…or even worse.

Yosemite

Maybe it prevents the car from accelerating rapidly, or going faster than 40 mph. That could increase mpg quite a bit. But the driver can do that themselves if that’s what they want, no need for a chip.

We had several supercharged cars with modded chips. More boost=tweaked timing and fuel curves for power gains. The aspect of tuning a chip for mileage gains is low on my interest zone. If I could increase mileage by 10%? That seems like a good thing.