Aftermarket Catalytic Converters - good or bad?

Toyota wants $1000 for a catalytic converter for my Corolla. (Just the part!) I priced an aftermarket (not Toyota made) unit on-line for $342.50 that looks exactly the same in the picture. Do these aftermarket converters work?

Yes, they work just fine.Try an independent shop for the repair if you aren’t able to do it yourself.

I take it your Corolla is beyond the federal emissions warranty.

Yes, the emissions components are out of warranty. The car has over 165K miles. My local mechanic says he will install if I buy the parts.

I recently bought an aftermarket cat converter for my Dodge and my local mechanic installed it for about an hour’s worth of labor. It works just fine. I suggest you do the same.

Thank you for the advice. I’m going to go ahead and give it a shot.

I think the Corolla might have two catalytic converters, one in the exhaust manifold and one under the car. If both need replaced, they might be the reason for the high bill. Get a second opinion from a muffler shop.

Jeremy, That may depend on the modal Year, and, or if the car has California emissions. The OP has not given the year.

Non California pre OBD2 cars I think only have the one under the car. If that is the case After market is OK. I would be more inclined to get a OEM cat on OBD2 cars, because sometimes the downstream 02 sensor will sense the difference in a after market cat, and cause the check engine light to stay on.