After New Fuel Pump Install - Car Dies in DRIVE After 20sec

I totally agree with @db4690 - I would look into his suggestions.

Hey everyone - just wanted to update after all this time. FINALLY the car is working again. Took it to a nearby shop referred to me and the first thing they did was test the pressure in the line: Idle=55lbs; Drive=5lbs. Clear as day that it was a faulty pump or install.

When I picked the car up the mechanic laughed and showed me what he pulled out of the car and said, “I don’t know about you but that does not look NEW to me.” It looked like the very first guy who did the work (mentioned in my starting post) had tried to take the motor out of the pump that he had bought (it didn’t fit into the tank height wise) and put that motor into the original pump. He then put that into the car and called it a day and continued to be adamant there was no way it was a faulty pump or the pumps fault.

Long story short, the car is running again after this new shop did the job from scratch with an actual NEW pump. Thank you everyone for your thoughts, help, and support. I sincerely appreciate it!!!

1 Like

Thanks for the rest of the story. Glad you’ve got it going again!

1 Like

Yeah pumps can be fickle. I’ve had a number of problems with them. Once I had one put in and made it a couple blocks and stalled at an intersection. Ran across the street to a store to call a tow and went back to my car and it started again and ran fine. Back to the store to cancel the tow.

1 Like

What brand pump did the new shop install? I suspect it was higher quality and price, versus the one that didn’t actually fit

Second shop used a Delphi pump. Definitely glad to have it working.

1 Like

Maybe the neutral safety switch is faulty?
Along with a possibility that you have the wrong pump.

A neutral safety switch will not stall a car. It will prevent the starter from operating but a starter is not needed when the car is running.

1 Like

The problem is already fixed . . . shoddy workmanship

1 Like

Well, that’ a new one. It sounds like something I’d do when working on one of my cars just to see if such a thing is possible, but not something a pro mechanic would attempt on a customer’s car.

1 Like