Afraid to drive new Toyota Camry

They’re probably confused by the discussion of a computer fix for the problem…that the computer should be able to shut the engine off, or at least lay off the gas, if the brake is pressed at the same time as the gas. That may be correct, but that doesn’t change the fact that the reason the gas and brake were being pressed at the same time is the floor mat and gas pedal design. (Some people are just have really narrow views of all problems. How much you want to bet the peopole you’re talking about couldn’t do word problems in their math classes?)

IMO, if they did that, there should be a way of turning the feature off…but one that cannot be done accidentally or without knowing what you’re doing, and it should require a second or two of brake-gas overlap.

Can you? It seems obvious enough that the driver of the Lexus that crashed – a cop – should have known to do it.

Was it not possible in that car?

No idea why the trooper didnt put the car in neutral.

—this video explains what to do if your car accelerates out of control…

http://blogs.abcnews.com/theworldnewser/2009/11/what-should-you-do-if-your-car-accelerates-out-of-control.html

Yes, that is correct. The only problem is if you don’t use the hooks or you put a mat on top of another mat. There is NO evidence of any other problem. If you use the correct mat and use the hooks to secure it, you will not have a problem. This whole thing is WAY overblown by the Media. The wrong mat was put on top of another in the case of the accident in CA with the cop. Why the cop didn’t put it in neutral or shut it off, etc - we don’t know, but he’s human, he probably did not think of doing this. Another person just came forward and said that a few days before this big accident, he experienced the same problem with the loaner car from that same dealer. He was able to put it in neutral and pull the mat free. He told the dealer when he got back. The dealer is in BIG trouble. Toyota is making more clearance between the bottom of the pedal and the floor so that if someone does something dumb like not using the hooks or stacking up mats, then they still may be okay. As another measure, they are installing a smart gas pedal software that cancels any gas pedal pressure if the brake is also on. These mods will try to idiot proof the car. No problem if you follow the two simple steps - use the right mat and use the hooks. I have 40,000 miles on my 07 Camry with all-weather mats, and they never have moved at all, and the pedals are no where near the mat. I still have my mats in, no problem. The service advisor at my Toyota dealer says the same thing as me. Yes, lots of people that hate Toyota are hoping or trying to convince people that this is a big problem with the electronics - NOT.

You’re overreacting. Just be prepared to put the car in neutral on the remote chance that this actually happens to you.

Several people reported having instantaneous acceleration when the cruise control was activated. How does the pedal get stuck in the mat if there is no foot on the pedal?