Advise on what to do next

Hi All,

I’ve owned a 2007 Hyundai Tucson since 2007, and it currently has about 66,000+ miles on it.
I’ve primarily used it for commuting between work and home during the weekdays, and errands here and there sporadically on the weekends. For the past (2) years I don’t use it as much as I no longer need to drive to work, but it gets used for small errands here and there by others…again sporadically.

I usually get standard maintenance done on it (i.e. oil changes, brakes and rotors, fluids, tire rotations, etc); and fortunately, it’s never been in an accident.

At this point, after so many years, in the condition that it’s in, and with the number of mileages it has, what would you do with such a vehicle? Trade it in and buy a new one? Sell it? Or hold on to it?

Thanks in advance,
Arvin

Only you can answer that.
Can you get by without a vehicle?
If you need a vehicle,
does your financial situation allow for a new car?
With very low use, an all electric car might be better.
Does your Hyundai have a conventional automatic or CVT.
Suggest you do a pro and con list.
Many things to consider.
BTW, you might rethink loaning the car to others as you indicated, usually not a good idea.

Sounds like a keeper to me. Just make sure you have replaced the timing belt if equipped. I know the V6 models have belts, not sure on the 4cyl.

These are pretty simple and reliable cars overall. They didn’t suffer from the same engine issues that newer Hyundai’s have.

2 Likes

I think I would start to consider trading. Age and mileage on that brand will likely start to raise its head. They don’t last forever so sooner or later you will need to upgrade. I’m not sure this is the best time right now though but I expect things to get much worse for car sales.

It’s really a no-brainer at this point. Keep the vehicle you already have, which has treated you well, and you know its history. Or trade it in, spending a bunch of money in the process to end up with a new(er) vehicle, which at best will do what your current one already does. Of course, the replacement vehicle might have constant problems, perhaps due to previous owner neglect or perhaps due to poor design.

I know what I would do. (Hint: the devil you know versus the devil you don’t know).

Another side-note. Older vehicles had only one or two computer modules, and did not drain the battery if left unused for weeks or even a month or two at a time. Newer vehicles contain dozens of computer modules, and will drain the battery within a few weeks or sooner if not driven regularly.

3 Likes

Even in todays overpriced market, that car would not fetch much esp if you want to put the proceeds toward another car. Seems like a “train station” car is handy for you and you have a perfect one, just keep it. When it has a major failure, then junk it and decide about your next move.

1 Like

A question like this will get the same replies here that the same people give everytime. Some just can’t imagine someone wanting a new car and some can’t imagine even thinking about replacing one that runs . So that means make your own decision that lets you sleep at night.

2 Likes

I tend to keep things, I would park it next to the new one, that is if I were tempted into spending $35,000 on a new vehicle.

What would be considered an equal trade for a 16-year-old vehicle? A snow blower?

Every since I was an adult I have always been one to have more vehicles then needed simply because vehicles break down and it is always nice to have a spare (sometimes a toy or two lol)… I have traded 2 vehicles in and replaced with 2 new vehicles at the same time before, but the newer car thing has always been more of a necessity… But I have never been close to Taxi’s or public transportation so they were never an option…

So it all depends on your situation and necessity for a vehicle incase something happens and you have to be able to go somewhere in a hurry…

I’d keep it as long as it serves you well. Also, have you replaced the timing belt or know when it was last replaced? With either engine the timing belt replacement interval is 60,000 and I assume about 5 years. If you keep it, do the timing belt ASAP if you don’t know when it was replaced last.

2 Likes