Advice on new car

I am about to retire my 219,000 mile Ford Windstar. I want the safest car, with best gas mileage, cheapest price. Don’t care about much else.

Also do not want to buy from Toyota, Ford, and Volkswagen

Any ideas

Go to the magazine section of Barnes & Noble or other large bookstore and get yourself a copy of the Consumer Reports New Car Buyers Guide. This publication gives copious information on the safety features and safety ratings of all new cars sold in the US marketplace, along with capsule reviews that include gas mileage figures and list prices. Also included are historical reliability ratings for each model.

Getting your information from a comprehensive source is much better than soliciting random suggestions from strangers who may have varying agendas.

Also do not want to buy from Toyota, Ford, and Volkswagen

Think Honda then in addition to the good VDC advice.

Something to keep in mind. I don’t know why you have decided you don’t what cars from certain manufacturers, so I am going to guess it relates to safety and reliability.

Our impressions of safety can be distorted by things like the Ford Firestone tyre problem and the Toyota accretion issue. These make the news, but involve very few drivers. I have not done the numbers, but I would not be surprised to find out that overall, those cars were just as safe or even safer than average.

There are many factors related to safety and most don’t make the news. Something as simple and small as a less efficient location of mirrors could rase the number of accidents a little, then add maybe a little less control in an emergency handling situation etc. could total up and make a different car less safe, but since it was not the kind of thing that makes headlines, we never hear about it. Even the type of driver who may be attracted to it could make a change to the overall statical safety of a car.

I would love to do a study of that kind of thing, I spent my professional life doing studies like that for industry. However I don’t think it is likely anyone is going to pay me or cover the research cost to do it, so all I can say is, while you should not ignore those news stories, It is easy to get a inaccurate opinion based on them.

Agree with Joseph; forget the hype on the media; the best and longest lasting cars are the cheapest versions of Honda, Toyota, and Mazda vehicles.

All three makes have very long design life built in, and do not cost an arm and a leg to maintain and repair. If you buy the standard shift and smallest engine versions and avoid the upscale “packages” with a lot of complex electronics, you’ll do well.

So, a bare bones Toyota Yaris, Honda Fit, or Mazda 3 (and future 2) would last you a very long time at very little cost. A manual shift Nissan Versa would also qualify, but not in automatic.

I agree that you should avoid Volkswagens, any US designed car until proven, Subaru (too complex).

http://www.iihs.org/research/hldi/composite_intro.html

Click on ‘latest results’ in the right column and then click on the column heading “medical payment” to sort for the cost of injuries in your car. Unlucky you! VW and Toyota are usually among the leaders here. BTW, lower numbers are better, and you can compare any cars, no matter the size or type.

The above link is the offset crash test data. There are new cars that aren’t on the first list.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/findacar.htm

After you narrow the list down, check mileage at the above link.

Given your requirements, I think you should test drive a Buick LaCrosse. An it is more than near the top of your list - it actually handles well, is comfortable, and a pleasure to drive.

Safest car: Kenworth Pilgrimage(it’s an SUV made on a semi-truck’s chassis)
best fuel mileage: for city driving, Prius, highway driving: TDI VW
cheapest price: Chevy Aveo, Toyota Yaris, Hyundai Accent, Nissan Versa

Take your pick

The Hyundai Accent and Nissan Versa get good gas mileage and are very cheap.

But I demand a vehicle that can seat 7, has a 5 star saftey rating across the board, can tow a 45 foot cabin cruiser, has 4WD, gets 40+ MPG and only costs $17k.

heh
Grab some sheet metal, a welder and have at it :smiley:

However, the safety ratings on the Hyundai Accent are not good in comparison to most of its competition.

The competition doesn’t have great safety ratings, either. The Versa had 12% high medical payout than the Accent between 2006 and 2008, and both were at least 65% higher than the national average.