Advice for young f-150 pickup buyer

Hi again! I bought a truck… a green 1976 f-250 ranger with a 360 in it (I am not sure what the tranny is) it is just beutaful… the interior is in great shape I got it for $475. It has low compresson in two cylinders (thus the price) only a bit of rust behined the back wheels and in the back of the bed. No crunches to the body, just some dings! I mean it is in amazing shape. any tips for the two dragging cylders? thank you.

Congratulations!

Did you do the compression test yourself or do you have the cylinder-by-cylinder results? If not, you need to do one yourself to see what’s specifically wrong. If they’re two adjacent cylinders, it’s probably a head gasket which isn’t too bad of a repair.

How low? can you feel reduced power? mileage on engine?

Agreed. The biggest weakness of the 400: retarded cam timing. An 4 barrel carb, manifold, cam and timing set, and a set of headers wakes a 400 up to 460 power with better driveability and fuel mileage.

Hey, bud, you need to check out http://www.ford-trucks.com. They have a fantastic forum full of Ford truck experts. Give 'em a look.

well, yes you can hear it run off beat when it idles but the power comes back when you hit about 25 mph. I am bringing it home today (bought it on saturday after the tag places closed!) the milage says “74,000” but, well, it is hard to say (if there is a one in front of that!). and I do think that they are next to one another, but I will personaly check.

Now, there is a leak in the manifold right where it hooks into the engine… is there a seal kit I can buy? and how much of a job is putting that on?

Hi,

I was looking under the hood of my truck (seeing how much needs to be done) and the hood to cowl seal is gone, and has been for some time, thus allowing rust to eat away at some compoinits near the cab. I saw two pipes coming from the carb and going down and hooking into the manifold(they are rusted off). I am pretty sure it is a pre-warmer to help with cold starts, I want to replace them but can’t find a part name. Does anyone know what they are called? Oh, and I checked the compesson and well, at least one cylinder is at full pressure. And one more thing, how many hours of work can I expext to put in to changeing the manifold gaskets?