Advice for buying used car- Mitsubishi, Kia, Hyundai, or Nissan?

How long do you plan on keeping it? 3yrs? 10yrs?

Another tip of the hat to Mazda. My wife loves her Hyundai Tucson but remember, that awesome warranty doesn’t transfer to the second owner unless you buy one as Certified.

1 Like

Others have given you good advice to have any candidates checked out. While it’s only a sample size of one, I bought a 2013 Kia Forte this past August. It’s great for my needs. It wasn’t the primary car for its first owner, but he kept every record and I spoke to his mechanic. I’ve driven 15,000 miles and having done the scheduled maintenance, :crossed_fingers:t2: it keeps on this way.

7 Likes

Friends of ours bought one around the same year as a former Enterprise Rental, it’s served them well. Every buyer focuses on certain things and as long as the person who’s driving the car is happy that’s all that really matters.

2 Likes

I’m on my second Kia and have been very happy. About 14 years ago, I bought a 2007 Kia Sedona LX minivan. The car was great and problem free. Was totaled in an accident, so in 2014, bought a used 2008 Rondo EX with low mileage and some time left on the warranty. Also bought an extended warranty, since, as was mentioned above, the 10 year / 100K mi power train warranty is not transferable. I really love this car (it was discontinued in 2010, being quite unpopular, but I can’t imagine why. It’s really great. Fills a niche that no other car does).

Yes, Kias and Hyundais did have reliability problems a long time ago, but they’ve done a lot to overcome this. On the plus side, you’ll find that at any given trim level, you’ll get many more features than other brands at a much lower price, too. On the negative side, you’ll find that your resale value will go down much quicker than, say, a Honda’s. But, since you’re looking for a used car, this might actually help you. Also, I did find that neither car was stellar regarding fuel economy, but then again, they are bigger cars.

Are they perfect? No, but I chose my Kias because I found them to be great cars at a great value. Also, I tend to keep a car a very long time, so the depreciation hit isn’t really an issue for me. I’m sure Hyundai would be similar.

1 Like

I picture you more in a Dodge Charger Hellcat :wink:

2 Likes

To be fair, most makes only offer 5 yrs./60k anyway so it’s not really like you’re losing a whole lot. I bought my Corolla at 3 yrs. old with 58k on it so I didn’t get much warranty in the first place. Anything say, 3 or 4 years old with 40k or under, will have some coverage left.

1 Like

I would spend the extra money and get a quality vehicule like the Toyota RAV 4 or Honda CRV.

1 Like

I put Mazda ahead of Honda these days. Honda has had a number of reliability issues over the last several years.

3 Likes

Much as it pains me to say it, as a Honda guy since I was in college, I tend to agree.

Of the OP’s list I’d absolutely be looking at Hyundai/Kia (same company, btw, OP). Those of us who were around for cars like the Excel remember those cars as the cars you got because you couldn’t afford a Geo Metro. But that’s no longer the case. That manufacturer is really kicking butt and taking names, at all levels from economy all the way up to luxury - those Genesis models they’re putting out right now are superb, as are the more affordable offerings.

My wife bought her 2012 Veloster new, and the thing has been rock solid. Only a few very minor issues in well over 100,000 miles. It’s like a 90’s Honda with more technology. :wink:

1 Like

More like 3-5 years