Advice after repair

2000 Mercury Sable Wagon, 3.0L V6 OHV engine, 95,000 miles. Vehicle is in very good condition. Just had to replace head gasket. Should I try to dump this vehicle or is is safe to think that the repairs will last? The engine did not overheat to cause the head gasket leak. One day the vehicle started to misfire, lost water level in radiator. Water was going into cylinder #3 and causing misfire. Caught before any other damage. Would you keep vehicle?

The repair should last. Hopefully you went to decent mechanic who guarantees their work for 1yr/12,000 miles parts/labor.

I would drive about a year and then access. The value (not much now) is not going to drop much.

It should be good for another 100,000 miles. One repair does not mean the rest of the car is worthless and the defective part has now been fixed. Nearly always it is cheaper to stick with what you have.

Since the defective gasket did not cause any damage, I agree that you are probably good for another 100,000 miles with tender loving care. I had a head gasket blow on my 1965 Dodge Dart at 55,000 miles and the car lasted till 154,000 miles when the rust finally killed it!