Active Safety Features

Meanwhile, we haven’t heard from the OP for 24 hours or so…

The choke stuck and he’s stranded.

1 Like

The last car I had with a manual choke was my 59 VW. I think maybe our 60 Falcon had that too. Don’t remember, didn’t drive it much. I was tempted though to put a manual choke on my 59 Pontiac though to replace the heat riser valve and that choke spring.

The most annoying feature I have found is when manufactures move the Park function from shifter into a button placed somewhere and when parking brake it’s self or brake release has been moved from being a pedal to being a button. This is especially annoying when you drive the car for the first time and you arrive at your destination but you cannot figure out how to put the car in park and apply the parking brake.

Also, the pre-collision activation with the beeps and seatbelt retraction. This can be especially annoying when you did it on purpose to scare your fellow occupants for laughs but the pre collision system almost made you crash as it pulled you back preventing you from steering and choking you in the process.
This happened on a infiniti QX

Yeah… Like that’s the cars fault. Sounds more like the idiot behind the wheel.

6 Likes

I was recently selecting between Camry and Accord and steered away from Toyota take on these “active safety perks” due to their lane departure system being way overly sensitive on the curvy road I take for work every day.
Honda’s system does not make a single warning beep there, Toyota thinks you are getting off the road all the time, I found it very annoying.
If I knew of their take on adaptive cruise… my selection between two would have come in no time.

Now, having all these features in my Accord, I rarely use adaptive cruise control.
Same as @Barkydog said before, I see it to make small mistakes and drive less efficiently, so I reserve it for the highway with not much traffic.

Lane departure warning does not bother me, as it is mostly silent, the only spot where it makes mistake is where I deliberately pulling to the very edge of the road lane on a way home to avoid hitting the sinking manhole cover. “Human, you are off… yeh, I know” :slight_smile:

The lane-keep assist is quite useless, as it regularly toggles on/off with road conditions, but this feature is not enabled by default, so no annoyance.

Over 4K miles I’ve got on this car, Emergency Braking activated a couple of times and in both occurrences it was a fraction of the second faster than I in detecting somebody slamming on the brakes in front. I can not tell “it saved me from…” on one occurrence, I was already into braking, just not as hard as needed, but in another case I’m not so sure as I think I did not realize first how hard cars in front were braking.

My impression: technology is far from ideal for autonomous use, but is very much useful for assistive use.

1 Like

If you are the one who did this juvenile stunt you might want to reexamine your idea of fun.

Maybe you shouldn’t be doing that, in any car.

+1
However, I would revise your words to eliminate the word “maybe”.

2 Likes

The seat belt should have choked you out. Doing stuff like you were is solid evidence of being a moron.

6 Likes

So you’re one of those @$$e$ that run other people off the road for laughs playing chicken. Hope you get the same lesson given the the pair who made me put my mom’s car in a ditch to avoid a head-on. She and I were lucky to be unhurt. The mechanic who repaired the car next day had encountered that same pair trying to play chicken at him the previous day about twenty minutes after they’d run me off the road. He ran THEM off the road, stopped, yanked 'em out of their wrecked car and beat the :poop: out of both. They deserved it! And so do you for driving like that.

3 Likes

My wife’s car is a 2018 model and has many ADAS (Advanced Driver Assist System) features. I find the lane departure warning to be quite annoying since the car does not know if I am intentionally changing lanes or cutting a curve close to the inside on purpose. I generally disable that feature when I drive her car.

My other annoyance is that the infotainment touch screen is also the backup camera screen. Our driveway is 3 cars long and she parks in the garage. When I drive her car and am backing down the driveway I am unable to tune the radio until I have shifted back into D. Maybe there is a way to disable the backup camera, but I spend little time driving her car and haven’t checked.