1999, 2.3L Auto with 243,000 on it. Properly maintained, car owned since 2008. Overall good condition. This has been a great car and suited my needs well.
I am In the market for a new Accord. I am having trouble finding the specific color and trim level I want, so I am just being patient in the mean time.
The heater is failing in this vehicle. It will output some kinda warm air but doesn’t get satisfyingly hot. Having a mild winter where I am (KY) so luckily haven’t been freezing to death. Independent mechanic diagnosed the heater core as failing and will cost about $800 bucks. It’s a huge / all day job on this car.
My plan is to sell it via private party when I find my replacement car. Now I am trying to decide between the following options:
A. Even though I’d rather not - spend the $800, be warm and happy while I continue patiently searching for the new one, and hopefully, get top dollar for this car when it comes time to sell. KBB in “good” condition is around $1500.
B. Hang on to my $800, perhaps be a little cold and have to bundle up on the road, and after I fully disclose the state of the heater to a potential buyer, let them make an offer on it as is and potentially accept less $ for it than I hoped for.
Financially speaking, 800 bucks isn’t going to make, or break me at this point and I understand that this situation is a little bit of a wash either way. I know some of this is purely subjective too, like how willing I am to be cold if it gets REALLY cold.
Just curious what you guys would do?