AAA is Expiring, Now What?

That’s absurd. So you’re at work and it starts snowing you’re going to stay there til the following day(s)?

I suggest you learn to drive in snow, or move to an area of the country that doesn’t have snow.

Why? Batteries in colder climate last longer. In 40+ years of driving in the North East I’ve never had a battery last under 7 years. I’ve had batteries last over 10 years.

1 Like

Okay, I have the answer Barkydog,

Per AARP’s Premier plan: “If you need locksmith services because your ignition key has been accidentally locked inside your car or your vehicle lock needs replacement, we will reimburse you up to $130. And if you have a broken, stolen or lost ignition car key, you will be reimbursed up to $25 for key replacement.”

AAA does have the advantage of getting the door open before the driver pays. They’ll also get my home door open, but you pay $45 more per year for this. I’ll look at one more before I decide. My home doors must be locked with a key (from the outside), and the car key fob is large. When I exit the car, I put the key in my pocket before locking the doors (like an old cat).

Have a good day,

Per Amica’s customer service, “TOWING IS NOT A CLAIM UNLESS IT IS IN AN ACCIDENT”

They’re good, but I only get $100 worth of towing, which makes a $100, or less per year roadside assistance plan a good deal for me. Not, back to the drawing board I’ve narrowed it down to 3 today.

…And your responses to my questions about this, and the older questions about Top Tier gasoline made a lot of sense to me, I cannot thank you enough.

Have a wonderful day,

My brother has always used AAA. He’s paid them more than $1000 so far and used them twice…what a racket.

;-]

While they are expensive ($120 per year, where I live) there are benefits that the others cannot match. I’d love to go back to Better World, but there is no GPS app (it took 2+ hours, and 3 phone calls for them to find me on a busy, city street). AAA, and a few others have a GPS app, making it easier to locate me, should I have a break down. They also offer other benefits, like discounts in local grocery stores.

Cheers,

Ta-da! I have the answer.

I really appreciate all of the responders who offered alternative companies to get roadside assistance from, or alternatives to roadside assistance. I whittled it down to 3: AARP, AAA, and Good Sam.

Good Sam offers local discounts on products I do not buy, and has some scathing customer reviews. AARP only reimburses for lockout services, and the trip interruption reimbursement is lower than AAA’s. AAA is the most popular where I live for a few reasons: GPS app, discounts on groceries in local markets, identity theft protection, and there are others. Only $20 more (Premier) than what my insurance covers for a tow, and other benefits.

Again, many thanks to all of you who replied,

Don’t forget that there are only a few dispatch services that all the others use and where you are placed in the pecking order is determined by which road service company. I almost joined AAA again last year but just kept AMOCO/Allstate (or whoever they are now). It was AMOCO that couldn’t find Minneapolis, not AAA. I have to say I have never had a problem with them responding or providing service. I have had a few tows with no problem and they sent a guy out 30 miles for a lock out. They even sent a truck out to change a tire for my son 100 miles away back to school so I can’t complain. Also every state has a different AAA organization and larger cities also have their own so it can be a local issue. The travel plans, campground information, etc. that used to be a big deal just isn’t used much anymore though.

I’ve had AAA for 11 years now, and other than some longer waiting periods for a driver to arrive (though not always), I’ve never had any complaints. Used their discounts many times as well for restaurants, hotels, groceries, bookstores, etc. I’ve used their travel services to help me get maps before trips. I got my EZ Pass there as well. For the sake of disclosure, though I will note that my dad has paid this since I was a teenager and refuses to let me pay for it now so cost is a non-factor.

1 Like

Umm . . . YOU are the one who used the term “dope slap”

I was just quoting you, to explain that Volvo’s answer was brief, to the point, and not a “dope slap”

I wasn’t being condescending . . . don’t even know where you got that idea :thinking:

In the common lexicon, a “dope slap” is given to the “dope” to wake him up, so OP was the self-described “dope” here. (BTW, commonly used by Click & Clack.)

;-]

I still don’t appreciate that OP called me condescending . . . seemed uncalled for, in my opinion

There’s a classic car restoration magazine based in England I read occasionally, and those guys frequently write articles about going someplace in their “restored” classic and it breaks down and they have to get it towed 35 miles back home. It seems like a sort of routine event for them. The car comes home on the back of a flat bed truck. No complaints in the articles about long delays, high costs, etc. I’m not sure if they have something similar to AAA in England , or if the gov’t has a towing service for everybody in the motoring public to use. Hopefully some of the UK users here know how towing works there in the UK.

This question, if towing is considered a claim, has been on my mind forever.

3 years ago, I had to tow my vehicle. Erie reimbursed me immediately. I asked the agent if it is considered as a claim and she mentioned, it is not a claim but it stays in the history. Last year, went to a local State Farm guy to get the quote and he mentioned, if it stays in the history, it is a claim. I have no idea who to trust. Erie didn’t raise my premium post the towing incident.

I have the State Farm addon. It is cheap, the finder based on a cell phone signal was fast and accurate, you don’t pay anything yourself. No problems with them.