A Toot and a Finger Wag?

If possible, I get into another lane and let the incoming traffic onto the highway. I’ve noticed a lot of people do this, but I don’t usually travel the major highways very often, so it’s usually lighter traffic conditions when I’m on them.

For over 20 years my commute has been 110 miles per day in the New York area. I can honestly say: don’t honk, don’t react, don’t do anything. I’ve honked at people who’ve needed to move over because we’re driving down a long hill with a tractor trailer almost losing it behind us, and have gotten the one-finger wave–obviously, someone’s not paying attention to the road conditions. The New York State drivers manual has a very good section on responding to road rage. The point is: you never know what’s going to set some people off.

In response to the others posting here, my personal opinion is that the majority of the drivers do not know the rules of the road, and there needs to be tougher tests for driver’s license and renewals.

Finally, everyone makes mistakes. People have cut me off, but I’m sure I’ve cut off a few people, too. Quite frankly, responding to these idiots is more a reflection of yourself than of them.

Those people don’t have a clue that they’re in the wrong AND dangerous ( this is why they cut you off ). Respoding in these manners only psss THEM off.
can you spell r-o-a-d–r-a-g-e ?

As the recipient of past honks (albeit at complete stops), I caution against using the horn. In my opinion, the horn needs to be reserved for emergencies and near-accidents NOT for reminders, warnings or lesson-teaching. I am one of those that gets set-off by the horn as if it’s involuntary reaction. It has escalated to where I will only edge forward, roll my windows down, and gesticulate and wave the honker on or around; if they are in such a hurry, go for it! go around me. Getting honked-at will immediately make my blood boil and I have fantasized about various follow-up actions. It does not help that the honkers have been people of advanced age driving SUVs or people that race off honking repeatedly after I pull out of the turn lane. Curiously, my reaction never involves honking back.

I am with the Zen dad unless there is an immediate danger of impact… then a long honk until the accident is avoided is appropriate. I was once on my bicycle training for a triathalon when a truck almost ran me over (no, I was not being an obnoxious cyclist in the middle of the road). I shot my middle finger at the driver and he stopped and fired three shots from a pistol across my right shoulder… 2 years later he went to prison for it… I no longer use any finger towards a driver and I strongly suggest you don’t either…

That is definitely good advice. Recently, I learned that any interaction with an unstable driver can be potentially dangerous, and unfortunately, it is not possible to know whether one is dealing with an unstable person.

About a month ago, I was driving on US Route 1, in Princeton, NJ. At a traffic light, I heard a horn tooting from a very large Penske truck next to me. I rolled down the passenger window, thinking that he was going to tell me that I had a brake light burned out, or perhaps one of my tires was going flat. Nope! This guy pointed toward an Obama/Biden sticker on my window, and shouted, “Why do you hate your country?” My response was, “No, actually I love my country”, and “Peace be with you”.

When the light changed, this guy did some some extreme maneuvering in order to move from the right lane, to the center lane, and then to the left lane. Once he was in the left lane, he swerved back to the center lane in an apparent attempt to force me off the road while giving me a “one-finger salute”. If I had not simultaneously jammed on my brakes and jerked the steering wheel, he would have–at the very least–taken a front fender off of my car, but there was definitely the potential for much more serious damage than that, as it was truly by only a couple of inches that I was able to avoid the rear of his truck.

If I had my cell phone turned on at the time, I would have called 911, but the circumstances simply did not allow me to do this before he disappeared in a burst of speed, probably intent on enforcing his version of free speech on other unsuspecting motorists.

As I said–avoid interaction with other drivers, as they may prove to be unstable.

Hmmm…Do you think that this guy is now driving a Penske truck in NJ?

This sounds like a slightly more extreme example of the “loyal McCain supporter” whom I had the misfortune to encounter recently. (See my earlier post for details.)

Wow… you are indeed lucky… that is why I do not place political stickers on my car… there was a Republican rally near here with Palin speaking… 30+ cars had their tires slashed… I think idiots are not unique to either party… but I am glad you are ok.

The really ironic part of the incident is that it took place within the city limits of Princeton, a town where Obama supporters constitute the vast majority. If that trucker had ventured into the heart of town, where the cars of professors and students predominate, his head probably would have exploded upon seeing Obama stickers on virtually every car.

I agree with JoeyGSO–nothing’s on my car that would (1) instigate an argument, or (2) enable an angry driver to easily identify my vehicle. Another tip: I’ve added all local and state police numbers onto my cell–some of the NY roads are handled differently. About 10 years ago we had a road rage fatality in the area–which leads to the last tip: NEVER pull over, even if the other motorist is indicating it. Again, the NYS drivers manual has some good tips, if you get a chance to read it.

While recognizing the potential risk from road-raging drivers, I am a hard-core finger-wagging tooter. OK - I’ll be honest, I lean on the horn but almost never wag any fingers since they are not likely to be seen anyhow. Why?

1. The idiots may be on the phone, unaware of their infraction, and may go on to do something even more dangerous.
  2. The pollyanna part of me feels that the idiot may somehow experience an epiphany moment and reform.
  3. My favorite (which I have actually observed a couple of times): I really like my fantasy image of the idiot driver’s spouse or significant other responding to my horn by telling him in person what I think of him, how inconsiderate he is in general, and perhaps some tidbits about his personal hygene. Based on his driving attitude, he probably responds rudely to her and a huge argument ensues. It’s like rolling a snowball down a mountain.

I see people smile and wink and hang their hands out of the window to wish the person a great day and give them once they see ya a thumbs up to keep on going like that …

Does anyone really believe that honking or gesturing at a jerk-driver is really going to make them stop and think “oh, I guess that was inconsiderate. I’m sorry, it won’t happen again.” ??? Please! They know they’re a jerk, and they don’t care.

A quick, polite honk to someone who is just not paying attention can be appreciated by the driver… but those hyper-aggressive drivers will merely laugh at you, and take a bigger risk next time.

I cannot tell you how many times I have come close to being hit by someone merging onto the expressway. Nine time out of ten the other driver is on a cell phone, wearing headphones, driving some monster vehicle without a care that there are other drivers near him or her, or going three times the speed of the bumper to bumper traffic that is already on the expressway. At the entrances onto the expressway that I frequent in Illinois there are no Yield signs whatsoever. The vehicle doing the entering onto the expressway is the one who needs to yield. This is basic rules of the road. In the cases where merging left is not an option by the vehicle on the expressway, the vehicle entering the expressway needs to either slow down or stop before entering the expressway. The people to the rear of that guy need to pay attention.

I am also tired of people not merging to the left at expressway entrances. For every time I have had to stop while on the expressway because of someone entering the expressway I have had to come to a complete stop because some other idiot who is so important that he cannot get of the phone to drive did not get into the left lane.

In all instances, I am applying the brakes and the horn with equal strength and fright. I think the biggest thing that would help with driver etiquette is the nation-wide ban on driving while talking on a cell phone. I can barely listen to the radio and drive at the same time let alone talk on the phone. Whatever happened to the basic rules of the road? Whatever happened to common courtesy especially on the road? I think the response should be a hefty ticket from a state cop, in lieu of that, something in between a 911 call and a gentle tap to the horn.

The California Vehicle Code lists the proper use of a horn:
27001. (a) The driver of a motor vehicle when reasonably necessary
to insure safe operation shall give audible warning with his horn.
(b) The horn shall not otherwise be used, except as a theft alarm
system which operates as specified in Article 13 (commencing with
Section 28085) of this chapter.

From the 2008 CA driver handbook:

Don?t Use Your Horn
? If a driver is going slowly, and
you want him or her to drive
faster. The driver may be ill,
lost, or having problems with
the vehicle.
? If slowing or stopping your car
will prevent an accident. It?s safer
to use the brakes than honk the
horn.
? To show other drivers that they
made a mistake. Your honking
may cause them to make more
mistakes.
? Because you are angry or upset.

My girlfriend and I were listening to this episode (as we always do), and she immediately looked at me and giggled when we heard this caller ring in. She knows I love to be horn friendly, quickly pointing out any less-than-ideal maneuver from other drivers. If it’s there, use it! People need to be told when they aren’t doing something properly! After all, what’s required for someone to drive on the road these days? --A pulse!

Another problem is that most horns are too quiet to hear effectively.
Get one of these babies :stuck_out_tongue: :
http://www.pbmissions.com/

A warning horn to keep cars from colliding is all I think a horn is for, leave the policeing for the police. and while the-single-finger-salute is tempting, it only makes a bad thing worse.

They don’t have a clue? Here’s something I’ve long wondered: are dirt bags who run red lights, cut off other motorists, race up on your tail and then roar around you offended by other dirt bags who do those same things to them?

Way off topic here, but the point about not putting anything on a car to trigger a malicious response brings me to it. I sometimes worry about taking my car into some places (it’s a near-classic in pristine condition), fearful of the dirt bag who will vandalize it merely because it looks so nice and has obviously been well cared for. The amateur psychologist in me thinks that dirt bags don’t confine themselves to just one quirky little idiosyncracy like their driving habits; you get the complete package!